• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Got it straight off Lenovo.com.
    Thanks. I'm guessing they're sold out for now, then. Everything I'm seeing says "Coming Soon". I can be patient. Sounds like the 4800U isn't generally available in that model yet anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Couple things:

1. Michael Would you mind sharing where you found that? I've been trying to watch availability of these (specifically the 4800U variant) for a while.

2. This makes me really excited for my next laptop. I've basically told myself that a 4800U is where I'm going. My current laptop is 11 years old (and no longer reliably wakes from suspend), so I'm due for an upgrade.

3. I've been using a ThinkPad 440p for work for ~4.5 years now, so at least I'll be fairly used to the keyboard layout. And I WILL NOT miss that rubber eraser head.

4. If they add USB4/Thunderbolt into the next generation, that'd make it just about perfect.

5. It's a little sad that these have soldered memory, but I understand that LPDDR4x kinda makes that necessary along with the form factor. Just means I need to buy enough RAM (and maybe SSD) to last the full expected lifetime of this machine.
    Got it straight off Lenovo.com.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Couple things:

1. Michael Would you mind sharing where you found that? I've been trying to watch availability of these (specifically the 4800U variant) for a while.
    Edit: I guess newegg at least shows the 4700u model as out-of-stock, but at least listed on the site now.

2. This makes me really excited for my next laptop. I've basically told myself that a 4800U is where I'm going. My current laptop is 11 years old (and no longer reliably wakes from suspend), so I'm due for an upgrade.

3. I've been using a ThinkPad 440p for work for ~4.5 years now, so at least I'll be fairly used to the keyboard layout. And I WILL NOT miss that rubber eraser head.

4. If they add USB4/Thunderbolt into the next generation, that'd make it just about perfect.

5. It's a little sad that these have soldered memory, but I understand that if they end up using LPDDR4x along with the form factor it kinda makes that necessary. Just means I need to buy enough RAM (and maybe SSD) to last the full expected lifetime of this machine.
    Last edited by Veerappan; 13 May 2020, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    bridgman
    These results have me wondering:
    Is the 4700G gonna really be a thing in July? Is it something you can even comment on?

Because, dammit, these 4700 8c/16t APUs are the ones I've been waiting for since AMD APUs have been a thing

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    I'm hoping for mobile workstations with H parts from AMD (and ThunderBolt please). So far most of what I see is either budget or gaming.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by Terr-E View Post

To ease your mind just a little bit; the manufacturing plants may be in the East, the technology and machinery is Western. The 7nm and 5nm EUV lithography machines that TSMC uses are designed and manufactured by ASML.
    It eases my mind about as much as Donald Trump being president.

Leave a comment:

• Terr-E
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    It's really worrying just how far behind western chip manufacturing plants are compared to their Eastern counterparts, they are now rolling out 5nm EUV while Intel still can't get 10nm into any meaningful state of production and Global Foundries have abandoned going any lower than 12nm.
    To ease your mind just a little bit; the manufacturing plants may be in the East, the technology and machinery is Western. The 7nm and 5nm EUV lithography machines that TSMC uses are designed and manufactured by ASML.

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Yes, that would be a mightly fine laptop. Alas it says 8GB RAM, soldered, not expandable. They must be kidding... Or is it still 2010?

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    It's really worrying just how far behind western chip manufacturing plants are compared to their Eastern counterparts, they are now rolling out 5nm EUV while Intel still can't get 10nm into any meaningful state of production and Global Foundries have abandoned going any lower than 12nm.
    Last edited by Slartifartblast; 13 May 2020, 05:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• halo9en
    replied
    "The BIOS does allow easily disabling UEFI Secure Boot and AMD PSP as another plus."

Excellent!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X