Initial AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Linux Performance Is Very Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olep View Post

Using manjaro and the 5.7 kernel I have the brightness issue as well. The touchpad does sometimes work, but it seems absolutely random whether it works or not. Anyway it stays the same in one session. When it does not work I get some strange i2c errors in the system log...
    See this help page for detailed error report:
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/configur...-laptop/144712
    There seems actually to be some level of brightness control (18-21 in gnome or 85%-100%) brightness which I didn't initially notice because the range is so small that it is hard to notice.
    In the meantime I have been controlling my brightness with the app in this link: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-16-04-higher/

My trackpad is also iffy in that it works sometimes and others it does not rather than not working at all. It seems that the microphones are also not working.

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Assuming you used Pop 20.04? Try Ubuntu 20.04 like Michael just to be sure?
    I will try that next, hope it works out otherwise based on olep's post I'll just have to bare with it until linux catches up to support the hardware. If even Manjaro with newest kernel has compatibility issues than I'm probably better off just being patient.

Comment

Originally posted by modosolo View Post

There seems actually to be some level of brightness control (18-21 in gnome or 85%-100%) brightness which I didn't initially notice because the range is so small that it is hard to notice.
      In the meantime I have been controlling my brightness with the app in this link: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-16-04-higher/

My trackpad is also iffy in that it works sometimes and others it does not rather than not working at all. It seems that the microphones are also not working.

I will try that next, hope it works out otherwise based on olep's post I'll just have to bare with it until linux catches up to support the hardware. If even Manjaro with newest kernel has compatibility issues than I'm probably better off just being patient.
      I have tried the plain ubuntu version as well. It has the exact same issues. Does the app you mention control the brightness via hardware or use software?

Comment

• Trackpad does not work.
        I've had zero issues with the trackpad in Ubuntu 20.04, Tumbleweed, or Manjaro. Two finger scrolling and everything has worked great. I had to install an updated kernel for Ubuntu graphics to work right, but the trackpad seemed to work fine with 5.4. Hopefully some Pop-specific issue, but if it doesn't work in an ubuntu live environment either then something might be wrong with your trackpad.

• Cannot control screen brightness with gnomes brightness slider or with keyboard hotkeys
        For some reason I occasionally loose the ability to control brightness as well (and never had the ability in 5.4 kernel). I get the weird 85-100% limitation you mentioned, so it "sort of" works but not really. However, I found a workaround that restores full control (or at least like 5-100%): boot into Windows and then reboot.

I kept the pre-installed Windows installation and put my linux stuff on a second SSD I installed (this beast comes with a free M.2 slot!). With this setup the workaround just involves choosing Windows at the grub prompt, telling Windows to restart when it boots up, then going back into Ubuntu/whatever. After that I get nearly full brightness control. Technically Windows can turn backlight off completely while linux is able to go to the lowest possible "on" state for the backlight but not off.

Still haven't figured out a way to get this thing to suspend in any distro. I've tried the powersave and cpufreq-set downclocking tricks and scripts too... nothing works. Hopefully we hear more about Renior linux support in the future. Much work left to be done.

Performance and battery life while working are pretty great though :-)
        Last edited by existensil; 30 May 2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post

I've had zero issues with the trackpad in Ubuntu 20.04, Tumbleweed, or Manjaro. Two finger scrolling and everything has worked great. I had to install an updated kernel for Ubuntu graphics to work right, but the trackpad seemed to work fine with 5.4. Hopefully some Pop-specific issue, but if it doesn't work in an ubuntu live environment either then something might be wrong with your trackpad.

For some reason I occasionally loose the ability to control brightness as well (and never had the ability in 5.4 kernel). I get the weird 85-100% limitation you mentioned, so it "sort of" works but not really. However, I found a workaround that restores full control (or at least like 5-100%): boot into Windows and then reboot.

I kept the pre-installed Windows installation and put my linux stuff on a second SSD I installed (this beast comes with a free M.2 slot!). With this setup the workaround just involves choosing Windows at the grub prompt, telling Windows to restart when it boots up, then going back into Ubuntu/whatever. After that I get nearly full brightness control. Technically Windows can turn backlight off completely while linux is able to go to the lowest possible "on" state for the backlight but not off.

Still haven't figured out a way to get this thing to suspend in any distro. I've tried the powersave and cpufreq-set downclocking tricks and scripts too... nothing works. Hopefully we hear more about Renior linux support in the future. Much work left to be done.

Performance and battery life while working are pretty great though :-)
          So you mixed up the 5.4 and 5.7 kernel to get graphics and touchpad to work?

Comment

Originally posted by olep View Post

So you mixed up the 5.4 and 5.7 kernel to get graphics and touchpad to work?
            Touchpad always worked for me. Installed 5.7 to fix graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post
              The show stopping issue I'm having is suspend/resume does not appear to work. The machine doesn't accept input after resume. Anyone (Michael?) have any luck getting suspend/resume to work? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

Fingerprint reader also isn't detected, but I don't care much about that.
              That model was sold out, I bought very close to this model IdeaPad Slim 7 AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, installed Ubuntu 20.04 and kernel 5.7. Everything works fine, except suspend/resume. I have absolutely the same issue, the laptop doesn't accept input after resume. Probably would be better to send it back to Lenovo.

Comment

Just wanted to add that with the latest kernel, the suspend/resume in Ideapad 5 (4700U) works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                  Just wanted to add that with the latest kernel, the suspend/resume in Ideapad 5 (4700U) works fine.
                  Can you please specify your distro, kernel version, and exact Ideapad model and BIOS version please?

Comment

Originally posted by rogowskys View Post

Can you please specify your distro, kernel version, and exact Ideapad model and BIOS version please?
                    I'd like to jump in to state that everything important seems to work with:
                    - Ubuntu Studio (XFCE) 20.04 running Kernel 5.7.8 (Low-Latency, but I'm quite sure generic will work, too)
                    On Ideapad 5 15are05, 16G, Ryzen 4700, 81YQ004MGE, with latest Bios as of June 2020, which is the one before E7CN26WW, as far as I can tell.... I'm seeing the latter one as released today, can't look up the older one atm.

Important things that work:
                    Touchpad (with blacklist fix on my computer, I'm not sure whether it's necessary); 3 finger gestures work, too, with an additional tool
                    Suspend/resume
                    Brightness, Volume, etc. , all the keys as far as I can tell

I used to have complete system hang/freeze on that laptop with 5.7.6-LL (but generic worked), and 5.7.7-LL (didn't try generic), so I'm happy that 5.7.8-LL finally works!

Comment

Working...
                    X