No announcement yet.

Initial AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Linux Performance Is Very Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ho.Lee.Chit. These Zen2 notebook parts are absolutely trouncing intel's finest. It's not even close. A 15w part hanging with (and beating) a 45w part is unheard of. While AMD has had success beating intel on the desktop in past generations (Athlon64, K7, K6) I don't think they've ever really been competitive in notebooks. Now they're not only competitive, they are dominating!! Yowsa! I'm willing to bet the onboard Vega graphics will kick butt too vs. intel UHD.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 12 May 2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

On these numbers, the AMD CPUs are an irresistible force. Apple will have to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
        On these numbers, the AMD CPUs are an irresistible force. Apple will have to use them.
        I couldn't care less about the "Intel vs. AMD" war- I've had both over time and most chipset decisions have been driven by availability, not politics.

That being said, as Apple tends to do be cutting-edge WRT to technology, and will pick the right hardware to serve its needs, plus have the economic leverage to get what they want- that being said, have they ever used an AMD CPU since going X86?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          I wish they would make better keyboards for laptops. At least there seem the be less glare and more IPS >1366x768 screens these days. But since a notebook is a mobile typewriter for me mainly (and maybe do some darktable and stuff) I really need a good keyboard (layout and key haptics).
          Agreed. I use a bucking spring unicomp keyboard on my workstation and would love a laptop with a bucking spring keyboard. My second best option would be maybe cherry blues, but yes a nice mechanical keyboard would be a god sent.

Comment

I find the 8550u vs 1065g7 results more interesting than the 4700u results. 4700u uses less power with 7nm so it clocks better and is faster... understood.

but, if I am reading results correctly, the 1065g7 is faster than the 8550 while clocking significantly lower. Makes me curious what intel could have been pulling off if the 10nm wasn't trash (at least back in 2019). And makes me wonder what these processors will be like if real. https://www.anandtech.com/show/15748...coming-midyear I'll probably still end up with a 4700u or 4800u. Unlikely the price on those cpus would be reasonable for me.

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            45W is a lie . My 9750H does 45W only with turbo boost disabled (max 2.6)GHz and with undervolt -100mV. On stock it easily goes up to 80W according to "intel-undervolt measure" and of course hits 100 degrees in 3 seconds, despite notebook being a thick gaming brick with 2 fans doing 5000RPM.
            i mean, technically its all a lie. note the 4700u laptop goes up to 55W before settling.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
              I couldn't care less about the "Intel vs. AMD" war- I've had both over time and most chipset decisions have been driven by availability, not politics.

That being said, as Apple tends to do be cutting-edge WRT to technology, and will pick the right hardware to serve its needs, plus have the economic leverage to get what they want- that being said, have they ever used an AMD CPU since going X86?
              Nope, and it sounds like they are sticking with Intel for now while working on bringing up their custom ARM chips for laptop use in the future. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't assume they are going to use AMD just yet.

Comment

How was your typing experience with the ideapad?
                I recently saw a lot low-end laptops with horrible keyboards, which would even bend when applying a bit of preassure on top.

Would be a pleasant surprise if the ideapad would be different in this regard.

Comment

Thank you VERY MUCH Michael for this article. I've waiting for new APU competition to come, and this is really interesting.
                  I'm impatient to see what it's worth for gaming. Although not sure yet if my next computer will be laptop or desktop, and if I wouldn't still be better waiting the the next generation of AMD APU which should come end of year if I'm not mistaken.

Also, if you could do a quick part on how "maintainable" this laptop is (access to battery? free RAM slot? things like that) because I bought a high-end MSI laptop and dearly regrets having let myself buy an "ultralight/ultrathin performance laptop" because everything is solded.

Comment

Just what I was looking for - thanks for this article Michael!

Comment

"The BIOS does allow easily disabling UEFI Secure Boot and AMD PSP as another plus."

Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                      X