Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Linux Performance Is Very Good

Phoronix: Initial AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Linux Performance Is Very Good

Since AMD Renoir laptops began shipping some weeks ago, I've been on the hunt for an interesting laptop to pick up for Linux testing and to potentially even use as my next main production laptop. Given the successes of AMD Zen 2 on the desktop and server front, I've been very eager to try out a Renoir laptop and last week picked up a Lenovo IdeaPad with Ryzen 7 4700U and the experience so far has been very good and with captivating Linux performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I heard myself a Sonny Chiba (Hattori Hanzo) "very good" from that topic.

Also. Seriously impressive from 15W TDP. Ie. Rips the Intel 45W parts to shreds.
    Last edited by milkylainen; 12 May 2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Is the thermal part of the article on page 8 missing?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        Rips the Intel 45W parts to shreds.
        45W is a lie . My 9750H does 45W only with turbo boost disabled (max 2.6)GHz and with undervolt -100mV. On stock it easily goes up to 80W according to "intel-undervolt measure" and of course hits 100 degrees in 3 seconds, despite notebook being a thick gaming brick with 2 fans doing 5000RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by carwyn View Post
          Is the thermal part of the article on page 8 missing?
          Coming in future article due to k10temp not working currently with Ryzen 4000.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Excellent! Hopefully the end of lock down will start freeing up cash. Right now it is actually good that availability is low, because an immediate purchase will not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              On stock it easily goes up to 80W according to "intel-undervolt measure" and of course hits 100 degrees in 3 seconds, despite notebook being a thick gaming brick with 2 fans doing 5000RPM.
              Prescott core "Mobile" Intel Pentium 4 HT = 88W TDP.

Comment

Well, my 15W Core i7 8650 notebook will happily pull ~33W indefinitely from the CPU. It will only peak at about 55W.

Also, that power measurements for the Ryzen notebook looked to have a high base. I suppose it's in part due to power management not being either mature or configured properly for that hardware yet?
                I know my previous notebook idled at over 20W at first, and after a few months of updates it was doing 14W. (this was in the days of 3H battery being impressive)
                So it will get better soon.

Even on Windows it seems that the same Ryzen notebook model has vastly different battery lifetimes depending on which version of driver is installed, etc...

Comment

I know that L1 tech, HW unboxed, Gamers Nexus are all quoting you once in a while. maybe you could at least get a pass me down for some ?

I was thinking to ship you my next laptop update.

Now I know where my 2nd life membership went

Comment

I have a Dell XPS (13" 2-in-1) that's got the 15W i7-1065G7. I can get constant 45W performance (@95C) by using a utility called "Throttled" and disabling thermald. I use a utility called "S-Tui" to monitor temps, wattages and CPU Frequency (along with "turbostat"). Intel P-State (incl. HWP) and the "powersave" governor are unchanged from stock (the "throttled" utility modifies some MSR tables/registers).

I keep saying I'm going to build some of these same tests Michael runs and compare them against my setup (bleeding-edge kernel, mitigations off, custom thermal management) and see if I get better than the same middle-of-the-pack outcomes he gets with the stock configs, maybe now is the time to start.

What's nice is between a (only slightly-modified) "tlp" config and "throttled" I get 45W sustained on AC when needed, but idle wattages as low as .9W on battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X