• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    Even newer than those, i.e., :

Code:
    commit 119b2b2c3e256f4bcff7439acc25ac1e9f1aaa4e
    Author: Joerg Roedel <[email protected]>
    Date: Mon May 4 14:54:13 2020 +0200

iommu/amd: Do not flush Device Table in iommu_map_page()
    et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post
      Thank you VERY MUCH Michael for this article. I've waiting for new APU competition to come, and this is really interesting.
      I'm impatient to see what it's worth for gaming. Although not sure yet if my next computer will be laptop or desktop, and if I wouldn't still be better waiting the the next generation of AMD APU which should come end of year if I'm not mistaken.

Also, if you could do a quick part on how "maintainable" this laptop is (access to battery? free RAM slot? things like that) because I bought a high-end MSI laptop and dearly regrets having let myself buy an "ultralight/ultrathin performance laptop" because everything is solded.
      Hi,

RAM is soldered. There are 2 options, 8 Gb or 16 Gb. The battery is internal, so would need to take off the laptop bottom panel.

Lenovo webpage with specs: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/88IPS501392

notebootcheck.net usually has details on components and maintainability, but they have not done a review yet. Will edit my post when I find one.

Comment

Michael Have you had any ACPI-related errors in DMESG? SInce from my experience, Lenovo IdeaPads' firmwares are built rather poorly (writing this from an IdeaPad 300-15ISK, as a matter of fact), leading to a host of issues, including, but not limited to, broken ACPI tables (could be as a result of a firmware upgrade as well), broken LPM (even on Windows), etc.

Also, as for the build quality, don't expect much from it, from what I had seen, on my, family's', friends', and customers' laptops, it seems like really great build quality, however it ages much more quickly than other lineups from Lenovo, and from other brands (have Lenovo fixed the issue where their IdeaPads' keyboards break within the first year or two yet?).

Also, from examining their board layouts, and speaking with guys involved with CoreBoot development, it would appear that the IdeaPads are poorly built from the get-go (such as how the EC controller is connected to the CPU via the LCP bus).
        Last edited by moriel5; 13 May 2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
          Michael Have you had any ACPI-related errors in DMESG? SInce from my experience, Lenovo IdeaPads' firmwares are built rather poorly (writing this from an IdeaPad 300-15ISK, as a matter of fact), leading to a host of issues, including, but not limited to, broken ACPI tables (could be as a result of a firmware upgrade as well), broken LPM (even on Windows), etc.
          FWIW though, most of those are benign; my XPS and especially my HP Spectre throw up a bunch of warning messages from the Linux ACPI subsystem, but they never impacted the use of the machine (as the Linux ACPICA has had to become tolerant of "well, it works in Windows, so it's 'OK'" ACPI sloppiness from manufacturers).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            bridgman These results have me wondering: Is the 4700G gonna really be a thing in July? Is it something you can even comment on?
            The what ??

Sorry, I can only talk about products we have announced.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

Even newer than those, i.e., :

Code:
              commit 119b2b2c3e256f4bcff7439acc25ac1e9f1aaa4e
              Author: Joerg Roedel <[email protected]>
              Date: Mon May 4 14:54:13 2020 +0200

iommu/amd: Do not flush Device Table in iommu_map_page()
              et al.
              Thanks for noting it, i will check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The what ??

Sorry, I can only talk about products we have announced.
                That's what I thought but I had to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by aaditya View Post

Hi,

RAM is soldered. There are 2 options, 8 Gb or 16 Gb. The battery is internal, so would need to take off the laptop bottom panel.

Lenovo webpage with specs: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/88IPS501392

notebootcheck.net usually has details on components and maintainability, but they have not done a review yet. Will edit my post when I find one.
                  If it is like my Ryzen 5 IdeaPad, its 6 screws on the bottom. Then pop tabs to remove it.

Everything is accessible. The only hitch I ran into is when I upgraded the NVMe storage. it will take a 2280 but you have to unscrew the cooling fan, lift it a small amount so the module can fit flush with the holding screw. Once it is secured, simply tighten the cooling fan back up.

Since it came with an empty SATA bay, I dropped another SSD in. I just don't like the touchpad.

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
                    To ease your mind just a little bit; the manufacturing plants may be in the East, the technology and machinery is Western. The 7nm and 5nm EUV lithography machines that TSMC uses are designed and manufactured by ASML.
                    TSMC is using not Eastern, and not western technology, But Central European Technology..

Remember that Europe starts very close to Asia( being Russia the most Eastern Country),
                    And ends close to Africa( being Portugal, the most Southern Country.. ).

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      It's really worrying just how far behind western chip manufacturing plants are compared to their Eastern counterparts, they are now rolling out 5nm EUV while Intel still can't get 10nm into any meaningful state of production and Global Foundries have abandoned going any lower than 12nm.
                      I read that Trump is trying to get TSMC to be a fab in america, he's willing to give them billions to build one. This would allow us defence contractors to build military chips using the latest nodes.

Comment

Working...
                      X