Intel Announces 10th Gen Core S-Series CPUs, Led By The Core i9 10900K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces 10th Gen Core S-Series CPUs, Led By The Core i9 10900K

Phoronix: Intel Announces 10th Gen Core S-Series CPUs, Led By The Core i9 10900K

Intel today is announcing their 10th Gen Core "Comet Lake" S-Series processors led by the Core i9 10900 series that the company claim is now the world's fastest gaming processor and offers clock speeds up to 5.3GHz.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do I really see some reasonable prices for intel CPU's?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      If you disregard you'll need a mobo to go with it, yes. And the mobo most likely won't work with their next gen CPUs, which should be an entire new design.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If you disregard you'll need a mobo to go with it, yes. And the mobo most likely won't work with their next gen CPUs, which should be an entire new design.
        Yes I have heard about the Z490 prices increase of around 60% over the Z390 https://www.techspot.com/news/84892-...decessors.html ...they never learn it.

p.s. https://www.techspot.com/images2/new...9-image-38.jpg

vs. a 3year old pc ....that is redicoulus marketing
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 30 April 2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

How are we supposed to compare a $250 8c/16t part against the previous i9-9900 at the much higher price point?

Comment

I got caught by surprise too. I'm not expecting much from Intel anymore, but $488 for 10 cores at 5.1GHz on a single thread is impressive (considering 14nm). Waiting for a benchmark though, and still can't wait for Ryzen 4000.

Comment

Yes I have heard about the Z490 prices increase of around 60% over the Z390 https://www.techspot.com/news/84892-...decessors.html ...they never learn it.

p.s. https://www.techspot.com/images2/new...9-image-38.jpg

vs. a 3year old pc ....that is redicoulus marketing
              Well, it does come with 2.5Gbps Ethernet and WiFi6. But it's questionable whether it makes sense to spend all that money on a motherboard that is unlikely to support further CPU generation(s).

Comment

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post

I got caught by surprise too. I'm not expecting much from Intel anymore, but $488 for 10 cores at 5.1GHz on a single thread is impressive (considering 14nm). Waiting for a benchmark though, and still can't wait for Ryzen 4000.
                But you can see they only achieved it by increasing the tdp massively. This reminds me of the FX 9590 - last resort to get some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post

You don't need benchmarks, the architecture is unchanged. You can safely predict how fast every part is.

Comment

But you can see they only achieved it by increasing the tdp massively. This reminds me of the FX 9590 - last resort to get some attention.
                    Indeed. But it's a last resort aimed at gamers, which is a market a cornered Intel may still lead (14nm vs 7nm is a lost battle already). In such context, Intel can only do so much... (What a time to be alive!)

Comment

Working...
                    X