Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEMU 5.0 Released For This Important Open-Source Emulator For Linux Virtualization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 5.0 Released For This Important Open-Source Emulator For Linux Virtualization

Phoronix: QEMU 5.0 Released For This Important Open-Source Emulator For Linux Virtualization

QEMU 5.0 is out today for this processor emulator that is a key piece to the Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm actually quite sad over "Deprecating support for 32-bit ARM host support". I suppose this will put the nail in the coffin for Raspberry PI x86 projects with newer versions of QEMU.

Comment

Raspberri pi is ARM64 from pi 3 and upwards. Possibly also 2+.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark-Show View Post
        I'm actually quite sad over "Deprecating support for 32-bit ARM host support". I suppose this will put the nail in the coffin for Raspberry PI x86 projects with newer versions of QEMU.
        Deprecating doesn't mean it is removed yet.... they are actually very generous with how many platforms are supported or allowed to remain supported.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          It is but the main distro "Raspbian" as far as I know doesn't support 64 bit OS at this time (it may for the Pi4). If a debian based distro comes along with ARM64 support along with anholts GPU driver to expose OpenGL 2.1, I would readily switch as most of my projects would be from PI3(+) when it comes to virtualization.

Originally posted by cb88
          Deprecating doesn't mean it is removed yet.... they are actually very generous with how many platforms are supported or allowed to remain supported
          Yeah I can always just stay on current versions anyway, but there is no planning for the future after a deprecation warning. It's no big thing anyway, I just wanted to voice a awoken sadness, not that I didn't see this comming months ago.

Side note, I admire the QEMU dev team and the work they do, keep up the awesome work guys!

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
            Raspbian is 32-bit to support the Pi Zero and to facilitate backwards compatibility with the first generation Pi.

Originally posted by Dark-Show View Post
            I just wanted to voice a awoken sadness, not that I didn't see this comming months ago.
            Did they ever make much progress on x86 emulation in the Pi? I tried 64-bit userland emulation with qemu-static in a chroot on my Intel 32-bit netbook but it was very incomplete. Only very old x86 binaries seemed to work (suggesting newer GCCs generated binaries that consumed instructions that qemu couldn't emulate.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 28 April 2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Raspbian is 32-bit to support the Pi Zero and to facilitate backwards compatibility with the first generation Pi.

Did they ever make much progress on x86 emulation in the Pi? I tried 64-bit userland emulation with qemu-static in a chroot on my Intel 32-bit netbook but it was very incomplete. Only very old x86 binaries seemed to work (suggesting newer GCCs generated binaries that consumed instructions that qemu couldn't emulate.
              I used qemu-static with a 32bit Debian chroot and was able to make most things launch and even get wine to work albeit my goal was to get OpenGL passthrough working but didn't have much luck, the patches I had access too required libraries that only a Debian install had at the time and my main laptop was lubuntu. I did however have the (failed) eltechs emulator in the later phases (with opengl passthrough) working and was able to acheive a x86 Steam install and play Worms Reloaded @ ~30fps on a Pi 3.

As far as i know the only bonus eltechs emulator had on QEMU was SSE->NEON support.

Comment

Is it really the complete support for 32 bit ARM or only the HW accelerated KVM? Last one isn't usefull for x86 on arm, but only for arm-on-arm...

Comment

Just a warning, QEMU 5.0 breaks my Windows 10 VM on Arch. I used "yay -G" to download the official Arch PKGBUILD that will be appearing tomorrow and after building and installing it my VM went into an endless loop, displaying the TianoCore boot message, then a black screen, then back to the boot message, etc.

I didn't have time to mess with it so I just reinstalled QEMU 4.2. So if you're going to try 5.0 make sure you have some way to restore the previous version just in case.

Comment

I'm staying with the current version of QEMU unless there are security vulnerabilities. I have never infected my home server in the past and not even today. I have no need of VirtIO-FS since I use SSH anyway. I would like to see some example scenarios regarding Dbus-VMstate and how I could put it to use.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    So if you're going to try 5.0 make sure you have some way to restore the previous version just in case.
                    That "try-it-if-it-breaks-then-restore" process reminded me of HDMI audio not working in 5.6 kernel. I have NVIDIA GTX 960 connected to my Denon AVR-X3400H home theater receiver and I get 5.1 surround sound over HDMI directly from my computer. Linux 5.5 works fine, but in Linux 5.6, PulseAudio does not expose NVIDIA HDMI audio, so luckily for me I have the 5.5 kernel in hand. I even created a backup cache (/var/cache.bak) and copied linux-zen and linux-zen-header files to the backup directory before I do a cleanup for freeing up space. I'm currently running Linux kernel 5.5.9 right now, although I wish I had the latest 5.5 kernel release...

Comment

Working...
                    X