Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

it has a long life ahead of it.
    think ryzen 4000 chips selling in 2022 in the same way people are still buying 2600x chips today when zen2 is out.
    Read this bit again...

unless it's a very tasty discounted price

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
      the real news here is B550 at last.
      fingers crossed that June 16th is a hard launch!
      for too long has AMD mid-range been held back by PCIe2 uplink/peripheral connectivity.
      Meh. Who needed B550? For the PCIe Gen4? Who is going to buy an expensive Gen4 NVMe drive and put it on a cheap CPU and board? For cheap, the B450 was already fine.

Also, just a nitpick correction, Ryzen has always been PCIe Gen3, never Gen2. Even my Intel 5960X from 2014 is Gen3. And for graphics Gen3 is plenty. Even when I was running SLI and my cards were x8 / x8 I couldn't tell any speed difference. You need to be doing some sort of RAM intensive GPU compute work for PCIe speed to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Meh. Who needed B550? For the PCIe Gen4? Who is going to buy an expensive Gen4 NVMe drive and put it on a cheap CPU and board? For cheap, the B450 was already fine.

Also, just a nitpick correction, Ryzen has always been PCIe Gen3, never Gen2. Even my Intel 5960X from 2014 is Gen3. And for graphics Gen3 is plenty. Even when I was running SLI and my cards were x8 / x8 I couldn't tell any speed difference. You need to be doing some sort of RAM intensive GPU compute work for PCIe speed to matter.

I have nVME because it was almost same price as SSD GB for GB, and the obviousness of having something an order of magnitude faster (I dont need it, but hey, it's there and my Steam library is loving it) is clear. The real bonus is saving me a SATA port for another mass storage drive, which gives me flexibility when I finally replace the two aging 3TB's with 8+'s.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I have nVME because it was almost same price as SSD GB for GB, and the obviousness of having something an order of magnitude faster (I dont need it, but hey, it's there and my Steam library is loving it) is clear. The real bonus is saving me a SATA port for another mass storage drive, which gives me flexibility when I finally replace the two aging 3TB's with 8+'s.
          Oh I have no argument against NVMe. All of my recent builds use it.

But cheaper NVMe drives may be as slow as 1.5 GBps. The expensive Gen3 NVMe drives hit 3.5 GBps. The Gen4 NVMe drives go up to 5 GBps and may eventually get to 7.5 GBps or so.

Since the Gen4 drives are more expensive than Gen3 drives why would anyone want a cheaper motherboard? If you can spend extra for the Gen4 drive you can spend extra for the X570 board.

Comment

By the start of 2021 PCIe4 ssd's will be in mainstream products, and by the end of that year you'll struggle to find a PCIe3 ssd in the same way that PCIe2 drives disappeared from the market in 2019.

I'm not talking about the PCIe functionality that derives from the CPU (x16 gpu and x4 ssd), but all the other PCIe lanes housed in the chipset that feed 1x and 4x board slots and peripherals such as Lan, wifi, additional usb. This is all PCIe2 on B450 (including the CPU uplink!), which is a real limitation as all these I/O peripherals get newer high-bandwidth iterations (which are released with newer PCIe compatibility!).

B550 is essential and B450 is a suitable for no more than budget boards as we get into mid 2020.
            B550 has a long life ahead of it - AMD has another AM4 compatible generation to arrive in the enthusiast market in late 2020, and they will still be selling those chips as mainstream and budget options well into 2022.

Comment

Oh I have no argument against NVMe. All of my recent builds use it.

But cheaper NVMe drives may be as slow as 1.5 GBps. The expensive Gen3 NVMe drives hit 3.5 GBps. The Gen4 NVMe drives go up to 5 GBps and may eventually get to 7.5 GBps or so.

Since the Gen4 drives are more expensive than Gen3 drives why would anyone want a cheaper motherboard? If you can spend extra for the Gen4 drive you can spend extra for the X570 board.
              Well, I don't need X570. I saved on cost by using B450 which suits my general needs well, got a nVME (Gen3) drive for almost the price of a similarly sized SSD and all in mini-ITX which seemingly has become a format for some sort of pissing contest to see who can charge the most for what is technically the same board as the ATX, with slightly less capacity (ie RAM and storage ports) on it. Switching up to B550 (mostly for overclocking and energy efficiency when the 5xxx APU's arrive) suits my needs even better for a longer future as a guy who can rebuild his own gear piecemeal, compared to someone who is simply happy driving their machine until it's time for a complete replacement. My builds tend to last 5-10 years before the internet's crazy expectations (my god, the performance required for some of these sites!) destroy the machines soul.
              Hi

Comment

Working...
              X