AMD Announces The Ryzen 3 3100 + Ryzen 3 3300X Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the real news here is B550 at last.
    fingers crossed that June 16th is a hard launch!
    for too long has AMD mid-range been held back by PCIe2 uplink/peripheral connectivity.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. Yep. Yep. While I'd want a better CPU for myself, either of these would be perfect to make a Steam Machine for my Dad who has only ever been into console gaming.

There's a market for these. It just isn't people like us since people like us tend to do stuff. These are for people like my Dad who I'd like to build a budget gaming system for or for some of the old people I help maintain their older, aging office PCs.
      I remember the time of first quad cores come to market and a lot of gamers change to them from core2duo extreme dual core and loose fps in gaming, better to spend money in a graphics card than a cpu if gaming is the point, I have a desktop with a fx 6300 with a gtx 1060 (the cpu is really weak for gaming) I most likely willl buy one of these quad cpu with good ram and a good mobo and wait two years to upgrade to a 8 core cpu

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. Yep. Yep. While I'd want a better CPU for myself, either of these would be perfect to make a Steam Machine for my Dad who has only ever been into console gaming.

There's a market for these. It just isn't people like us since people like us tend to do stuff. These are for people like my Dad who I'd like to build a budget gaming system for or for some of the old people I help maintain their older, aging office PCs.
        Until the PS 5 and new XBox arrive with 8 core/16 thread consoles.

Comment

I like how one of the processors is a four core model and the other is a quad core. "No, but this one goes to eleven."

Comment

I'm waiting for an APU refresh, it sucks that Intel is putting video on basically everything these days but AMD only has a few bottom rung options outside of the laptop space. Not everyone is a gamer and if I have to spend a few dollars more to get video I end up spending it on an Intel cpu with integrated instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Until the PS 5 and new XBox arrive with 8 core/16 thread consoles.
              It's a pity they are not available as workstations.
              Can be used to build very cost-effective rendering farms, at least.

Comment

One is a four core, the other is a quad-core?! ... My OCD got tickled reading that.

Comment

Originally posted by Floturcocantsee View Post
                  Pretty funny how what was considered top of the line in consumer processing (4 core / 8 threads) 5 years ago is now the lowest-end skew.
                  My thoughts exactly. If feels like yesterday a 4C/8T part was $500+. These are going for $99 and $120. If B550 boards aren't priced into X570 territory, that's a sweet combo that will work for probably 90% of the users out there.

Originally posted by Floturcocantsee View Post
                  Really goes to show how stagnant Intel got with their market dominance.
                  Intel only stagnated in the performance area, like anybody would do in the absence of competition. They worked wonders for laptops/ultrabooks instead. They beefed up their IGPs (arguably not as much as they could). They developed XPoint (still has a way to go).

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
                    I'm waiting for an APU refresh, it sucks that Intel is putting video on basically everything these days but AMD only has a few bottom rung options outside of the laptop space. Not everyone is a gamer and if I have to spend a few dollars more to get video I end up spending it on an Intel cpu with integrated instead.
                    I wish my 8core CPU would have had a very slow GPU. But as it didn't, I had to buy a crappy GPU for this server machine that usually never requires a GPU except for crappy UEFI updates/settings. I would say there is a market for APU's with a low performance GPU core.

Comment

Originally posted by xpue View Post
                      Four cores in 2020? Is this a joke? /s
                      It's not simply 4 cores, but 4 AMD cores, meaning that your OS will see it as 8 cores. But I do get your notion to some extend... Any Arm SBC these days has got four or more cores already. People's smartphones and tablets are now coming with ARM octa cores. So, yes, it seems a bit retro to still be making those quad cores or quasi-octa cores. AMD will be producing these to fill out orders for the budget market, but they will also be doing it to stand their ground against the increasing threat by Arm CPUs. I don't see this as a good plan in the long term, and AMD will only be using them to make some more money. In the end will Arm CPUs take over the market of the low-end desktop PCs, because these are nowadays mostly used to run a web browser anyway, which Arm CPUs can do, too, and for a fraction of the cost (I'm talking about the vast sea of office PCs in businesses, libraries, universities, hospitals, government, etc. and that aren't being used for PC gaming).
                      Last edited by sdack; 21 April 2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X