Intel Xeon Gold 5220R + Xeon Gold 6226R Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

AMD doesn't expose the CPU package power consumption sensor under Linux so can't compare the CPU power alone and don't have two identical Intel/AMD server platforms to accurate compare AC system power draw.
    I know your budget is not unlimited, but wouldn't a metered PDU be an option for you? It won't get to the CPU package level, but it will provide a TPU for each host you run through the paces. And you don't have to have duplicate equipment, you can get the telemetry on your host for each run.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I know your budget is not unlimited, but wouldn't a metered PDU be an option for you? It won't get to the CPU package level, but it will provide a TPU for each host you run through the paces. And you don't have to have duplicate equipment, you can get the telemetry on your host for each run.

Just a thought.
      Happen to be aware of any affordable PDU with those capabilities? Last I checked unfortunately there were not any affordable ones with a reliable means of querying from the host.

But I have the WattsUp Pro for doing AC power consumption monitoring via PTS already, but the issue in the case of this server comparison is the Daytona reference platform I use for my AMD Rome testing is not comparable to any of my Cascade Lake platforms, largely due to the really beefy cooling on Daytona that has some very high wattage fans.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        And it's all because AMD's new CEO is a woman.
        Not sure if trolling or serious. Lisa Su is largely responsible for AMD's success but it isn't because she's a woman. She's is a legitimately competent, skilled, and knowledgeable person who made AMD play aggressive and assertive.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Not sure if trolling or serious. Lisa Su is largely responsible for AMD's success but it isn't because she's a woman. She's is a legitimately competent, skilled, and knowledgeable person who made AMD play aggressive and assertive.
          Hahaha, you're funny... They've said all this about the predecessors, who were all men, too. I just hope you understand that women don't do everything the same way as men do and that this can make all the difference it needs. You better not have a problem with that.

By the way, your idea that AMD's recent success is based on assertiveness and aggressiveness is more typical for a man's thinking, because men are more easily influenced by these things. Women typical don't care for it, because they're also less influenced by it and in Lisa Su's case would I say that she's probably relying far more on technical skill and harmony than on any aggressiveness, and she will be less impressed by what Intel is doing than any of her male predecessors were before her. But that's just a hunch. I've only seen a short interview of her so far.
          Last edited by sdack; 11 April 2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

And it's all because AMD's new CEO is a woman. Even funnier, Lisa Su is the niece of Jen-Hsun Huang, who is the CEO of Nvidia.

https://babeltechreviews.com/nvidias...e-of-amds-ceo/
            I'm not 100% sure that "Lisa Su" is a woman, to me he/she looks like a poorly made up tranny. I'm fairly certain that "Lisa" is an Asian dude in drag.

Comment

Lisa Su is the niece of Jen-Hsun Huang, who is the CEO of Nvidia.
              And that's Fake News.

Edit: also the article you cited as source says it's not true...
              Last edited by numacross; 12 April 2020, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

And that's Fake News.

Edit: also the article you cited as source says it's not true...
                It's not the point. Neither my article nor yours states what their exact ancestry is. In one article is she being labelled as a niece, but it's not quite clear how they are related, only that there is some shared ancestry. She seems to be what we would call a "cousin's daughter". And the other article only says that when she was asked if she is his niece she said "not really", which just means the same thing that she isn't exactly a niece. So it remains a bit of a mystery and a fun fact.
                Last edited by sdack; 12 April 2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Hahaha, you're funny... They've said all this about the predecessors, who were all men, too. I just hope you understand that women don't do everything the same way as men do and that this can make all the difference it needs. You better not have a problem with that.
                  Yes, women don't tend to do things the same way as men, but I mentioned the words "aggressive" and "assertive" because those are masculine traits, which you yourself have pointed out. Previous CEOs were pencil pushers. Lisa Su is ambitious. That's why she won out. Correlation != causation, and her being a woman is not correlated. She is, however, a great role model for girls to look up to.
                  I say that she's probably relying far more on technical skill and harmony than on any aggressiveness, and she will be less impressed by what Intel is doing than any of her male predecessors were before her. But that's just a hunch. I've only seen a short interview of her so far.
                  Being aggressive and assertive by itself is useless. You won't make a good leader if you're just bossy. Lisa has a very respectable resume and actually knows a thing or two about the business she entered. So yes, technical skill is very much a big part of why her leadership brought AMD success, but technical skill/knowledge by itself also isn't enough. Under previous CEOs, there were smart people working for AMD but their voices and decisions were silenced or ignored, likely to tighten profit margins or appease the accountants. Success requires someone command control while also knowing what it is they're doing. That is Lisa, and that is something anyone, man or woman (or Apache helicopter if that's how you roll) can do. I'm not trying to undermine women's abilities, I'm just saying Lisa is the first skilled, competent, and ambitious leader AMD has had in a long time, who also just happens to be a woman.
                  TL;DR, there is nothing especially feminine about the way she leads. She's just simply a great leader.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    ... Previous CEOs were pencil pushers. ... there is nothing especially feminine about the way she leads. ...
                    So what you're saying is that the previous CEOs weren't real men and only she leads like a real man.

Comment

So what you're saying is that the previous CEOs weren't real men and only she leads like a real man.
                      No, I'm saying previous CEOs weren't fit for the job, like most people. Not everyone can be a CEO. I'm not here to say what makes a real man, just as I'm not here to say Lisa's leadership is because she's a woman.

Comment

Working...
                      X