No announcement yet.

Intel P-State Driver Shifting To "Schedutil" Governor Default With Linux 5.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel P-State Driver Shifting To "Schedutil" Governor Default With Linux 5.7

Phoronix: Intel P-State Driver Shifting To "Schedutil" Governor Default With Linux 5.7

On top of all the other changes in Linux 5.7 so far, a secondary set of power management updates were sent in today for this next version of the kernel and includes now using the Schedutil governor by default for Intel P-State and Arm big.LITTLE systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...edutil-P-State

ah finally something sensible. pstate with powersave or performance weren't a good combo. Powersave is just not rsponsive enough and performance generates too much heat. I want intel's' cppu states management with a sensible cpu governor that doesn't hide away from bumping up the clocks when needed to ensure a very responsive system. I could disable pstate and just use schedutil but i think this will be a much much better deal

Comment

Someone should check if www.vsynctester.com works without stutter in Firefox with Webrender while all C-states are set to auto in bios, it never did for me with anything but performance/no governor (not even Windows balanced).

Comment

acpi-cpufreq performance > all the others

Comment

Michael
          Thanks for the heads-up with regard to AMD's Zen CPU driver situation!

Also, İ really hope it wouldn't be too much to ask if You could do a second round of schedutil benchmarking with the Android default of:
          Code:
          echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/schedutil/rate_limit_us
          You know, just for curiosities sake...

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            acpi-cpufreq performance > all the others
            Could you tell us how you came to that?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Someone should check if www.vsynctester.com works without stutter in Firefox with Webrender while all C-states are set to auto in bios, it never did for me with anything but performance/no governor (not even Windows balanced).
              I am on clear linux, 1065g7, 5.6.2, firefox 40fps and stutter, brave(chromium) around 60 fps and all grey,
              Code:
              scaling_driver intel_cpufreq
              scaling_governor schedutil

Update:
              I updated firefox to 75 and changed layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true and now get 60fps and all grey
              Last edited by Shtirlic; 07 April 2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
                Could you tell us how you came to that?
                Just anecdotal, but I have no stock in acpi-cpufreq. You'll have to just try it for yourself. I believe Linuxxx gave a detailed breakdown of why in a previous post.

To enable it, you will need to add "intel_pstate=disable" to GRUB first.

Comment

Working...
                X