No announcement yet.

Intel 10th Gen H-Series Mobile CPUs Hit Up To 5.3GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel is using clock speeds the same way camera and smartphones manufacturers used "Megapixels", as a marketing term to scam the gullible. Laptops of all types are notorious for thermal-throttling. But "5.3 Ghz on a laptop" sure draw attention on the headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
      At the beginning of the year there were optimistic rumors that Intel will increase considerably the base clock frequency for the H processors.

However, during the last month, the optimistic rumors were replaced with pessimistic rumors that the base clock frequencies will remain the same as for the Coffee Lake Refresh of last year.

The pessimistic rumors proved to be true,
      Intel has finally updated the Ark site with the new Comet Lake H processors.

Now I have understood the source of the early rumors that Intel will succeed to increase their base clock frequency.

The fastest Intel laptop CPU, i9-10980HK, at its standard 45 W TDP, has the same 2.4 GHz base frequency like the model of last year.

Nevertheless, if you increase the TDP to 65 W, then the base frequency is raised to 3.1 GHz, the frequency reported by the early rumors.

Unfortunately for Intel, AMD can achieve such a base frequency at only 35 W, compared to the 65 W required by Intel.

In thick and heavy laptops, a 65 W TDP is achievable, but obviously the battery life under load will be reduced.

My Dell Precision laptop also has its 45-W H processor configured to a 60 W TDP, which does not cause any problem with noise or temperature, but this is a thick laptop, not an ultrabook.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Intel is using clock speeds the same way camera and smartphones manufacturers used "Megapixels", as a marketing term to scam the gullible. Laptops of all types are notorious for thermal-throttling. But "5.3 Ghz on a laptop" sure draw attention on the headlines.
        Sure is reminiscent of the Pentium 4 days, when intel's Prescott was pushing clockspeeds and TDP's through the roof, in an effort to counter AMD's superior Athlon64 chips.

Comment

I had one of those 4.5GHz Pentium 4s 20 years ago. Clock speed is not as important as low TDP and hardware accelerators.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
            I had one of those 4.5GHz Pentium 4s 20 years ago. Clock speed is not as important as low TDP and hardware accelerators.
            The king has returned!

Comment

This is K8 vs. NetBurst all over again.

Comment

Faster Intel chips ... now with faster and more unknown security issues?

You'll need all of those clock cycles to offset all of the security issue workarounds that will have to be implemented to mitigate those issues.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  I had one of those 4.5GHz Pentium 4s 20 years ago.
                  Pentium 4 topped out at 3.73GHz though.

Comment

Working...
                  X