Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 10th Gen H-Series Mobile CPUs Hit Up To 5.3GHz

Phoronix: Intel 10th Gen H-Series Mobile CPUs Hit Up To 5.3GHz

Days after AMD announced their full Ryzen 4000 series mobile CPU line-up, Intel has now introduced their 10th Gen Core H-series processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I suppose those aren't likely to have great battery life?

Comment

Battery life under any form of load may be poor, or Intel is being generous with the turbo clock speeds which may not have much longevity if you're running off battery.

5.3GHz Single Core Turbo sounds great, but it's purely for "race to sleep" scenarios, and that's being gracious.

"An unexpected error was returned: '2: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1040): Too many connections'" - might need to tweak some settings Michael and migrate to a real DB (oooh!)

Comment

Yeah, single core turbo and not sustained for long.... Not that impressive. Still good for marketing purposes though.

Comment

I have waited with interest the Intel announcement, because I might have to upgrade my laptop this year, but the announce was quite disappointing.

At the beginning of the year there were optimistic rumors that Intel will increase considerably the base clock frequency for the H processors.

However, during the last month, the optimistic rumors were replaced with pessimistic rumors that the base clock frequencies will remain the same as for the Coffee Lake Refresh of last year.

The pessimistic rumors proved to be true, so the only improvements brought by Comet Lake are higher turbo frequencies for the cases when no more than 2 cores are active and a lower price for some mid range models achieved by renaming the higher models from before as lower models from now.

The best 8-core Intel H CPU continues to have only a 2.4 GHz base clock frequency, while its cheaper AMD competitor has a 3.3 GHz base frequency.

In any task that is limited by power consumption, e.g. in program compilation, the new Intel Comet Lake H CPUs will reach a much lower clock frequency than the Ryzen 4000H CPUs.

There might be some applications where no more than 2 cores are active and Comet Lake H will be significantly faster than AMD, e.g. in some games, but those are not important for me.

Before Ryzen 4000, Intel had a second advantage besides the single-thread clock frequency, the lower idle power consumption.

Now, according to the initial reviews, Intel keeps a slight advantage in idle power for the 15 W U CPUs, but for the 45 W H CPUs AMD is already better at the idle power too.

So after this Intel announce I have decided to delay the upgrading of my current laptop, unless it will die, either until the next year, when Intel is rumored to introduce 45 W 8-core Tiger Lake H CPUs (besides the 15/28 W 4-core Tiger Lake CPUs that are supposed to be introduced before the end of 2020) or until AMD will decide to enter the last market where it does not compete with Intel yet, i.e. the market of mobile workstations, so that some vendor will offer an AMD laptop with 64 GB of ECC memory and with dual Thunderbolt 3, like the current models with Intel CPUs.

The mobile workstations are very expensive, so in 2020 it would seem very stupid to spend $3000 to $5000 for a mobile workstation and only get thus a laptop with an obsolete Comet Lake H CPU, much slower and more power-hungry than the competing Ryzen 4000H.

For cheaper gaming laptops, where the CPU might be less important than other components, Intel Comet Lake H might be OK, but it is still likely that there will be better deals with Ryzen 4000H.

Last edited by AdrianBc; 02 April 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I read this power boost would take around 135W or so, compared to like 50W on AMD. It's really ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
              Battery life under any form of load may be poor, or Intel is being generous with the turbo clock speeds which may not have much longevity if you're running off battery.
              Yeah, that's even true for the "U" ultramobile CPUs, unfortunately. I have a new Comet Lake based laptop (i7-10510u) and battery life under load is poor compared to the older Kaby Lake variant of the same laptop (Dell XPS 13). The machine heats up considerably more under mix/low loads, probably because it tends to boost to higher speeds intermittently. It's faster, yeah, but at a price.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
                I have waited with interest the Intel announcement, because I might have to upgrade my laptop this year, but the announce was quite disappointing.

At the beginning of the year there were optimistic rumors that Intel will increase considerably the base clock frequency for the H processors.

However, during the last month, the optimistic rumors were replaced with pessimistic rumors that the base clock frequencies will remain the same as for the Coffee Lake Refresh of last year.

The pessimistic rumors proved to be true, so the only improvements brought by Comet Lake are higher turbo frequencies for the cases when no more than 2 cores are active and a lower price for some mid range models achieved by renaming the higher models from before as lower models from now.

The best 8-core Intel H CPU continues to have only a 2.4 GHz base clock frequency, while its cheaper AMD competitor has a 3.3 GHz base frequency.

In any task that is limited by power consumption, e.g. in program compilation, the new Intel Comet Lake H CPUs will reach a much lower clock frequency than the Ryzen 4000H CPUs.

There might be some applications where no more than 2 cores are active and Comet Lake H will be significantly faster than AMD, e.g. in some games, but those are not important for me.

Before Ryzen 4000, Intel had a second advantage besides the single-thread clock frequency, the lower idle power consumption.

Now, according to the initial reviews, Intel keeps a slight advantage in idle power for the 15 W U CPUs, but for the 45 W H CPUs AMD is already better at the idle power too.

So after this Intel announce I have decided to delay the upgrading of my current laptop, unless it will die, either until the next year, when Intel is rumored to introduce 45 W 8-core Tiger Lake H CPUs (besides the 15/28 W 4-core Tiger Lake CPUs that are supposed to be introduced before the end of 2020) or until AMD will decide to enter the last market where it does not compete with Intel yet, i.e. the market of mobile workstations, so that some vendor will offer an AMD laptop with 64 GB of ECC memory and with dual Thunderbolt 3, like the current models with Intel CPUs.

The mobile workstations are very expensive, so in 2020 it would seem very stupid to spend $3000 to $5000 for a mobile workstation and only get thus a laptop with an obsolete Comet Lake H CPU, much slower and more power-hungry than the competing Ryzen 4000H.

For cheaper gaming laptops, where the CPU might be less important than other components, Intel Comet Lake H might be OK, but it is still likely that there will be better deals with Ryzen 4000H.
                If you want a mobile workstation with AMD I think this fit your bill except for TB3 (which depends at how good it is on the manufacturer's implementation):
                Thanks to lightning-fast AMD processors and state-of-the-art NVIDIA GPUs, XMG APEX is the perfect gaming laptop.

They use desktop CPUs from 3600 up to 3950x. I think they are working on a variant with 4x00 mobile version, unfortunately Asus has exclusivity for a while on 4900H (or HS?). If you have questions they are very responsive and answer super fast. See links below:

Have you ever wondered how a laptop with a desktop CPU that has 16 cores and 32 threads would look like on a laptop? Well, today is your lucky day as XMG, a German laptop maker, has decided to launch a laptop that has AMD's latest and greatest desktop CPU - the Ryzen 3950X 16C/32T monster. The 3950X...

It even has a removable battery... something you don't see lately. I had big expectations for the Asus Zephyrus G14, but it's small, it doesn't have an Ethernet card and for a gaming laptop the screen has lag according to reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Yeah, that's even true for the "U" ultramobile CPUs, unfortunately. I have a new Comet Lake based laptop (i7-10510u) and battery life under load is poor compared to the older Kaby Lake variant of the same laptop (Dell XPS 13). The machine heats up considerably more under mix/low loads, probably because it tends to boost to higher speeds intermittently. It's faster, yeah, but at a price.
                  Not too surprising, is it? After all, this "new" generation is just another overclock of the same old Skylake CPU with beefed up power delivery. It's already a last resort with desktop CPUs as the only segment, where people might accept this. In power constraint environments such as mobile or server systems, this is just a marketing stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by phrix View Post

If you want a mobile workstation with AMD I think this fit your bill except for TB3 (which depends at how good it is on the manufacturer's implementation):
                    Thanks to lightning-fast AMD processors and state-of-the-art NVIDIA GPUs, XMG APEX is the perfect gaming laptop.

They use desktop CPUs from 3600 up to 3950x. I think they are working on a variant with 4x00 mobile version, unfortunately Asus has exclusivity for a while on 4900H (or HS?). If you have questions they are very responsive and answer super fast. See links below:

Have you ever wondered how a laptop with a desktop CPU that has 16 cores and 32 threads would look like on a laptop? Well, today is your lucky day as XMG, a German laptop maker, has decided to launch a laptop that has AMD's latest and greatest desktop CPU - the Ryzen 3950X 16C/32T monster. The 3950X...

It even has a removable battery... something you don't see lately. I had big expectations for the Asus Zephyrus G14, but it's small, it doesn't have an Ethernet card and for a gaming laptop the screen has lag according to reviews.

Yes, I have noticed that announce too.

The XMG APEX 15 is without doubt the fastest laptop at multi-threaded applications that has ever been produced.

Unfortunately, I could not use it for 2 reasons, one is that I really need TB3, because I do not use internal SSDs, but only external TB3 SSDs.

The second reason is that I do not believe that it is possible to obtain an idle power of under 50 W with 3900X or 3950X and I still need some autonomy with the laptop.

Traditional mobile workstations with 45 W Intel H CPUs and with 32 GB or 64 GB memory have an idle power not much less than 25 W, which leads to a battery life of around 4 hours, which is not great but which is enough for laptops that are only seldom disconnected from a power supply.

The new AMD H CPUs, e.g. Ryzen 9 4900H, appear to have a much better idle power. Probably an idle power between 10 W and 15 W would be achievable in a mobile workstation built with them.

Comment

Working...
                    X