Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD PassThru DMA Engine Driver Still Pending For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: AMD PassThru DMA Engine Driver Still Pending For The Linux Kernel

In addition to the AMD Sensor Fusion Hub driver that we are hopeful could land in Linux 5.7 albeit not yet queued in the iio-next branch, another AMD driver that has been around for a few months in patch form but yet to be mainlined is the AMD PassThru DMA Engine driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Along the same subject I think.

Enjoy listening to Level 1 Linux/Techs on youtube, the technology as he said it is not quite there yet but getting closer. I think he was especially talking about GPU pass through, that was a video from last year I think.

May have to listen to that video again, think it had something to do with IOMMU assignment, I think... still learning this stuff. All the virtualization stuff is more uncharted territory for me. Really waiting on either another price drop for the 3900x or wait to see what that extra IPC lift brings from a 4900x (4000 desktop series in general) which is due to come out later this year or early 2021. Add an extra SSD for storage and I will be deep diving into the universe of virtual machines.
    Last edited by creative; 26 March 2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I was going to get into VM passthrou once AMD releases a decent 8core 16 thread Desktop APU. Who knows when that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I was going to get into VM passthrou once AMD releases a decent 8core 16 thread Desktop APU. Who knows when that will happen.
        Ryzen 7 4900HS is your friend.. up to 56 watt TDP 8cores faster than ryzen 3700X
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          I have thought of tinkering with VM's on just my 3600 but I would really like those extra 12 threads to dedicate from something like a 3900x. Some people are experimenting with pass through I think someone from level one was using something insane like an rtx 2080ti and maybe another AMD card on a 3900x, trying things out.

I don't know it just seems like to me 24 threads would be the magic number for really putting in proper hardware resources. At least right now I am decked out if 32GB of RAM.

Provided we all live through all of these weird times, I put a 5700xt on credit, not a very wise thing to do right now but oh what the hell lol.
          Last edited by creative; 26 March 2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

Ryzen 7 4900HS is your friend.. up to 56 watt TDP 8cores faster than ryzen 3700X
            That's a laptop part, they don't ship as a unit you can plug into any old board. I am hoping that its a sign of things to come on the desktop line though.

Comment

How is this "AMD PassThru DMA Engine" related to VM passthrough stuff y'all get excited about?

Comment

Originally posted by evilryry View Post
                That's a laptop part, they don't ship as a unit you can plug into any old board. I am hoping that its a sign of things to come on the desktop line though.
                the 35watt TDP and 45watt TDP are the notebook/laptop parts the 56watt version will also have Desktop yATX boards.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  Along the same subject I think.

Enjoy listening to Level 1 Linux/Techs on youtube, the technology as he said it is not quite there yet but getting closer. I think he was especially talking about GPU pass through, that was a video from last year I think.
                  The state of GPU passthrough is actually in generally great condition. This is an old video of it working to run X-Plane in separate in dual windows VMS on top of linux using Xen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACIPcM41ufY <-- This is a really old video now.

My current desktop is either Ubuntu 19.10 or Windows 10 depending on how I am feeling, both of them have my Nvidia 1070 passed through. Both run on top of Ubuntu 18.04 base now using the KVM and Virt-Manager for handling it all. I use raw LVM partitions that are given to each VM. I do regret this last decision it may have slightly better performance (not noticeably though), but the problem with it is that it is a huge pain to manage vs say just qcow2 backed VMs.

The major issue with setting this up, it is still a hack job to get it up and running and Nvidia is a huge pain in their hate on for people running their consumer grade kit in VMs. Once you get the work arounds to their stupid policy on this, their cards work very well.

I have only tried this on Intel platforms. I would love to try it with an AMD setup but I dont have access to one.

Comment

zexelon coool! However, what I forgot to mention has to do with Ryzen 3000 series/X570, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X