Google Engineers Have Been Working On An AMD SB-TSI Temperature Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Engineers Have Been Working On An AMD SB-TSI Temperature Driver

Phoronix: Google Engineers Have Been Working On An AMD SB-TSI Temperature Driver

Google open-source engineers have been working on a temperature driver for AMD's SoC SB-TSI emulated temperature sensor for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The board on the photo looks cool!

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
      The board on the photo looks cool!
      Yep, got 2 of them - https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=28361
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am dreaming of this with dual socket .... Got to wait a tad more for that.

Comment

Originally posted by tchiwam View Post
          I am dreaming of this with dual socket .... Got to wait a tad more for that.
          Of that ASRock board pictured? They do have a 2P option available.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Of that ASRock board pictured? They do have a 2P option available.
            Cannot find it on their site... must be bad google foo...

Comment

Originally posted by tchiwam View Post

Cannot find it on their site... must be bad google foo...
              Hmmm actually not listing on their website at the moment. Not sure if they discontinued it or just whatever issue at the moment, but I know there is/was a 2P version of that same board and still at a decent price.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

As a AMD fanboy, I find it shameful that it took outsiders to write code for this important feature, especially on the high lucrative enterprise sector.

Yeah AMD, people gots to know if the temp is 55C or 66C.

Comment

@M@GOid I don't know if it surprises you, but Intel is doing much of the software grunt work (Kernel, toolchain support etc.) in the X86 ecosystem which AMD and other X86 vendors profit from to a large degree. That is nothing new though. Also AMD contracts some of the architecture specific work out to others (e.g. compiler tuning is done by SUSE for them for GCC). And I see nothing wrong with that approach bringing third parties ito the table, after all AMD is a much smaller company. With compelling products others do have an incentive to invest into AMD's product stack which furthers their attractiveness even more. AMD had to close their open source technology center which was responsible for the early bring up of new platforms. With more cash at hand I expect them to invest more into their ecosystem as there are still some blind spots which need their attention (e.g. Glibc called out for help from them).

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    As a AMD fanboy, I find it shameful that it took outsiders to write code for this important feature, especially on the high lucrative enterprise sector.

Yeah AMD, people gots to know if the temp is 55C or 66C.
                    Why? As long as default cooling curve in BIOS/UEFI is fine, then I really don't need to know my CPU's temperature,... In the end, my laptop/desktop is just a tool, and I want it to work out-of-the-box, and therefore invest my time in better things, than tinkering with cooling curve,...

Comment

Working...
                    X