Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Plumbing Linux Support For Reading The CPU's Protected Processor Identification Number (PPIN)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Plumbing Linux Support For Reading The CPU's Protected Processor Identification Number (PPIN)

    Phoronix: AMD Plumbing Linux Support For Reading The CPU's Protected Processor Identification Number (PPIN)

    Going back to Ivy Bridge processors, Intel has supported "PPIN" as the Protected Processor Identification Number as a globally unique identification number set in the factory. It turns out recent AMD CPUs are also supporting PPIN and that reading their value is about to be supported on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...essor-ID-Linux

  • #2
    wish I could have read the serial for a decade already or fine grained overclocking and undervaluing DB. A shame this was disabled decades ago for privacy, when nowadays each and everyone is tracked with each browser and phone, ... and a processor serial is certainly not needed for that, ...

    Comment


    • #3
      Isn't this exactly the thing we fought against so strongly in the pentium era when they wanted to be able to track everyone by having a UUID for each CPU? It snuck in, anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by willmore View Post
        Isn't this exactly the thing we fought against so strongly in the pentium era when they wanted to be able to track everyone by having a UUID for each CPU? It snuck in, anyway.
        No no, this time around it's a *feature*, it's about empowering customers, you see...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by willmore View Post
          Isn't this exactly the thing we fought against so strongly in the pentium era when they wanted to be able to track everyone by having a UUID for each CPU? It snuck in, anyway.
          That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this article.

          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentiu...privacy_issues

          Given that half the tech industry is invested in tracking everyone and everything, and those companies order from Intel by the truckload, I'm not surprised.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nranger View Post

            That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this article.

            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentiu...privacy_issues

            Given that half the tech industry is invested in tracking everyone and everything, and those companies order from Intel by the truckload, I'm not surprised.
            No, no, they only will your best...

            'One of the intended use-cases for PPIN is in large data centers and multi-socket servers to be able to more easily identify a particular CPU, especially in case of problems'

            What problems do you have?

            Comment


            • #7
              Can find out for sure if you're actually getting a new CPU when you do an RMA.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nranger View Post

                That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this article.

                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentiu...privacy_issues

                Given that half the tech industry is invested in tracking everyone and everything, and those companies order from Intel by the truckload, I'm not surprised.
                That's why Devuan fixed it!
                The CPUID is random now on Devuan!
                Suck that intel..

                Comment


                • #9
                  I hope this is disabled by default or made random.
                  It has absolutely no value for a desktop user, except for tracking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

                    That's why Devuan fixed it!
                    The CPUID is random now on Devuan!
                    Randomizing what features the processor reports as "supported" is a great idea, totally not going to cause random breakage.

                    Devuan: doing useless and potential harmful shit because we don't know what stuff means.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X