AMD Ryzen 9 4900H Mobile Processor Announced For Top-End Laptop Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 4900H Mobile Processor Announced For Top-End Laptop Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 4900H Mobile Processor Announced For Top-End Laptop Performance

AMD today announced the Ryzen 9 4900H as their new top-end Zen 2 mobile processor for notebooks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know when the first laptops using the 4000H series will emerge?

Comment

If you can, choose one with really good cooling. The standard for laptops these days is really low. Is like manufactures expect thermal throttling to be a thing consumers enjoy.

Comment

The odds are pretty high this CPU can't run Clear Linux completely, since that is being pushed as the Linux performance benchmark right now.

A few AMD Ryzen 5 3500U users (Asus and Lenovo) have noted that Clear can't enable the mobile IOMMU properly so AMD-Vi functions are suppressed.

The Intel Clear team is aware of it, but I am sure those guys have bigger fish to fry right now.

Clear installs, it boots, but anything that requires AMD-Vi doesn't work.

All the Ubuntu spins work just fine with the 3500U mobile CPU and its IOMMU.

It's possible its the IOMMU that is funky in this fab and this new Zen will work, so user beware.

Comment

thinking about the potential of [desktop] Renoir, its interesting that:
          a) on the media engine side - there is no sign of AV1
          b) on the display output side - there is no mention at all (inc hdmi 2.1)

it seems to me that AMD would have a real opportunity to grab the HTPC market if it achieved both of the above.

do you think there is any chance that:
          1. the lack of AV1 is a function of speed, i.e. a 65W Renoir media engine might have the grunt to do it?
          2. the absence of information on the display output side is deliberate, i.e. AMD is holding this back for desktop?

Comment

Do we know if these will be paired with decent discrete graphic options? I'm really excited by these and hoping to replace my Intel i7-6820HK & AMD M395X Alienware

Comment

I'm currently on a thinkpad 460p with an i5-6440HQ - this new cpu looks like it's finally worth to upgrade
              On the other hand - why not wait for 12 or 16 cores and hardware AV1 de- and encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                thinking about the potential of [desktop] Renoir, its interesting that:
                a) on the media engine side - there is no sign of AV1
                b) on the display output side - there is no mention at all (inc hdmi 2.1)

it seems to me that AMD would have a real opportunity to grab the HTPC market if it achieved both of the above.

do you think there is any chance that:
                1. the lack of AV1 is a function of speed, i.e. a 65W Renoir media engine might have the grunt to do it?
                2. the absence of information on the display output side is deliberate, i.e. AMD is holding this back for desktop?
                Although the iGPU is based off of Vega 7 nm, it uses the same video encode/decode block as Navi. I believe we will see the first AV1 hardware decode in common chips late this year (and definitely by early next year if coronavirus delays launches).

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  If you can, choose one with really good cooling. The standard for laptops these days is really low. Is like manufactures expect thermal throttling to be a thing consumers enjoy.
                  Well, business now prefers thin laptops,.. Therore these laptops are good suited only for temporary max speeds (open/load file, load web page,...),... And, it's enough for business use.

For long stable high performance, there is professional tier (usually comes with quadro) of laptops, and gaming laptops.

Also, cooling pad is an option,...

However, I quite miss ThinkPad TXXXp series...

Comment

Guess I will need to buy yet another life time membership... After my travels are sorted... Let me see how much I can share

Comment

Working...
                    X