Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Few More Linux Kernel Patches Floated This Week For AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Just on observation: laptops with discrete NVIDIA graphics are sold with Windows preinstalled. Always. If you deliberately install an unsupported OS, then it's only your fault.
    I hope you realize that if the rest of the world used your logic we wouldn't have Linux today nor any of the other OS's out there.
    And that kinda invalidated the years long "F you NVIDIA" movement started after a comment from Linus Torvalds who replied to a woman who couldn't make her laptop with discrete NVIDIA graphics work under Linux. Yeah, she created a problem for herself, Linus kinda sorta shared her sentiment, the whole Linux community decided to demonize NVIDIA. Wow. So intelligent. So thoughtful.
    Rational discussion has never worked with NVida so yes they can go to hell.

Bloody rampant fanboys. Show me a single sentence on NVIDIA's website where they recommend Linux to be installed on laptops with NVIDIA GPUs.
    NVida is the one responsible for poor laptops support under Linux and thus deserves all the grief they get.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Meanwhile even Zen 2 CPUs are not properly supported under Linux. So much for AMD's open source friendliness.
    That so called bug report is pure garbage. It reflects a personal opinion that the software should work a certain way when it has never supported what the poster wants.

Not to mention that the k10temp driver reports 1/3 of data which HWiNFO64 is able to extract.
    You might get more traction on this issue some place else. The problem is real but I suspect few people in high places at AMD read Phoronix. They do read the /AMD reddit though. Frankly I'd prefer that AMD simply publish the data that is needed to support their CPU's.

"Yay, buy AMD", you can hear from every corner of the Internet. Then you buy it. Then you realize it's far from perfect and strangely Intel/NVIDIA are not so bad.
    Again garbage! I can make a very good argument that AMD's processors are more perfect than anything Intel is selling at the moment. More importantly hardware has never been perfect and likely never will be. The only thing of importance is that I can sit in front of my workstation and get work done or goof off like I'm doing now. I can do that on a machine that leads performance wise and is still cost effective.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by lem79 View Post

Until you have Intel+nVidia in a laptop... ugh. Never again.
    Just on observation: laptops with discrete NVIDIA graphics are sold with Windows preinstalled. Always. If you deliberately install an unsupported OS, then it's only your fault.

And that kinda invalidated the years long "F you NVIDIA" movement started after a comment from Linus Torvalds who replied to a woman who couldn't make her laptop with discrete NVIDIA graphics work under Linux. Yeah, she created a problem for herself, Linus kinda sorta shared her sentiment, the whole Linux community decided to demonize NVIDIA. Wow. So intelligent. So thoughtful.

Bloody rampant fanboys. Show me a single sentence on NVIDIA's website where they recommend Linux to be installed on laptops with NVIDIA GPUs.
    Last edited by birdie; 22 February 2020, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied
    "Yay, buy AMD", you can here from ever corner of the Internet. Then you buy it. Then you realize it's far from perfect and strangely Intel/NVIDIA are not so bad.
    Until you have Intel+nVidia in a laptop... ugh. Never again.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Meanwhile even Zen 2 CPUs are not properly supported under Linux. So much for AMD's open source friendliness.

Not to mention that the k10temp driver reports 1/3 of data which HWiNFO64 is able to extract.

"Yay, buy AMD", you can hear from every corner of the Internet. Then you buy it. Then you realize it's far from perfect and strangely Intel/NVIDIA are not so bad.
    Last edited by birdie; 22 February 2020, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    I'm not to worried about that issues, because really most of them are fixed in a short time manner. Don't forget: AMD is really changing the industry in a lot of ways, with their heavy multicore liftings. On the other side I don't see any real progress at intel, so they launch the same hardware again..and again...and again, which will naturally cause less pain.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    "Following the MCE issue with Threadripper 3, the RdRand issue with the initial Zen 2 CPUs, and other past launch gotchas, it would be quite refreshing to see the Linux kernel already fit and good to go for reliable Zen 3 support on launch day without any brown paper bag issues." - considering their past track record, don't count on it.

Leave a comment:

• A Few More Linux Kernel Patches Floated This Week For AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)

Phoronix: A Few More Linux Kernel Patches Floated This Week For AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)

Going back to the start of 2020 we've been seeing a few patches here and there around AMD Family 19h, almost certainly Zen 3. That patch work has continued with a few more bits out this week while hopefully more bring-up is on the horizon ahead of the Linux 5.7 merge window opening in just over one month's time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X