Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Few More Linux Kernel Patches Floated This Week For AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I asked to show such laptops being sold in the US and nothing has been offered.
    You did no such thing. This is the first time you've even mentioned the US.

For the record, here are your previous posts:
    Just on observation: laptops with discrete NVIDIA graphics are sold with Windows preinstalled. Always. If you deliberately install an unsupported OS, then it's only your fault.
    And here we have people outright lying. There are no laptops with discrete NVIDIA GPUs which are sold without Windows preinstalled. None. Never happened. There are cheap Intel/AMD laptops with iGPUs which are sold OSless - but it's a whole different matter.
    Not a single word about location. You are very adamant that other people are lying and that it's completely impossible to get any kind of nvidia laptop without windows, no exceptions.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 23 February 2020, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

Check my open source contributions and kindly fuq off. Up to three hundred bug reports, up to a dozen patches, fixes to the Linux kernel, GCC, KDE, Mozilla Firefox, Wine, etc. And I started using Linux almost twenty years before you signed up on Phoronix. You look like another self-entitled open source rabid fanatic who's only capable of stinking on Phoronix forums. "I don't understand Open Source" - LMAO. I wonder how you can say that with a straight face. But maybe your IQ/intelligence is so low you really believe in that. My condolences then.

Don't bother replying to this post: I no longer see your messages. Sorry. Enough with fanaticism for one day. Go design a competitive open source GPU which rivals NVIDIA and open source devs will happily write drivers for it.
    I do Linux since 1996, long before Phoronix was a thing. And 12 Patches is what I do on a daily average ;-) Don't tell me what I should accept from hardware vendors. They want to sell hardware, the developer documentation (register level) must be open. Just because of the good old Windows monopoly they can hide behind their limited binary only driver blob. Back in the day TVs, hi-fi equipment, heck even fridges and cars came with schematics to repair, nowadays we can't even program our GPU anymore? Imagine CPU vendors would do that and you could only install Windows, and could not even write your own software easily. Had to write any application software only using their proprietary SDK. You clearly have no further insight in this matters, or are on Nvidia's payroll. Or booth.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
    You called lem79 a lier. I proved you wrong and this what you reply? The very least you should do is apologize.
    I asked to show such laptops being sold in the US and nothing has been offered. As for Europe - I don't care about countries which enable dubious laws "protecting" the customer. On a laptop with discrete NVIDIA graphics you can install either Windows or ... Windows. The law makes zero sense. Sorry, I don't have to admit anything or apologize for anything. Actually this law makes the life of Europeans worse: an OEM version of Windows costs as little as 10 euros per PC. Now Europeans, thanks to this law, have to buy a retail version of Windows 10 which costs at the very least 50 euros. Also, it's a liar, not "lier" - I don't know what that word even means.

Originally posted by rene View Post
    you have no idea how open source works, I also do not even want vendor support, their copy'n pasted bloat is usually buggy and full of security vulnerabilities anyway. I blame Nvidia for not releasing hardware specification like it should be standard for the users who pay $$$$ to be able to write code however they want THEMSELVES. But you obviously have not understand the OPEN not the SOURCE in Open Source.
    Check my open source contributions and kindly fuq off. Up to three hundred bug reports, up to a dozen patches, fixes to the Linux kernel, GCC, KDE, Mozilla Firefox, Wine, etc. And I started using Linux almost twenty years before you signed up on Phoronix. You look like another self-entitled open source rabid fanatic who's only capable of stinking on Phoronix forums. "I don't understand Open Source" - LMAO. I wonder how you can say that with a straight face. But maybe your IQ/intelligence is so low you really believe in that. My condolences then.

Don't bother replying to this post: I no longer see your messages. Sorry. Enough with fanaticism for one day. Go design a competitive open source GPU which rivals NVIDIA and open source devs will happily write drivers for it.
    Last edited by birdie; 23 February 2020, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

If it is your open source OS, then it is your burden to support it and you have no right to blame NVIDIA for not supporting it. They have not promised to support any laptops. God, open source fanatics feel entitled way too often as if the whole world owes them open designs and open source.
    you have no idea how open source works, I also do not even want vendor support, their copy'n pasted bloat is usually buggy and full of security vulnerabilities anyway. I blame Nvidia for not releasing hardware specification like it should be standard for the users who pay $$$$ to be able to write code however they want THEMSELVES. But you obviously have not understand the OPEN not the SOURCE in Open Source.

Leave a comment:

• Raven3x7
    replied

Speaking of Europe: if I'm not mistaken they enacted this peculiar law which mandates that laptop OEMs must sell laptops without Windows preinstalled in certain countries/certain models/etc - I don't know the details. And right under the first laptop:

https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/...gb-ssd-freedos

A gazillion of offers to buy Windows 10. Kinda silly if you think about that. Also show me where any of these etailers mention Linux at least once on the pages of their website. I dare you. Or better yet show me results from Amazon, Newegg, B&H, BestBuy, OfficeDepot, etc.
    You called lem79 a lier. I proved you wrong and this what you reply? The very least you should do is apologize.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why do they even use DOS? Do they hate Linux that much?

Couldn't they use a console-only Linux distro or at least even EFI Shell?
    DOS is installed only to show that the laptop can be turned on and it somehow works (at least screen and keyboard can be tested this way).

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

Maybe this is true for your region. However, I can purchase at least 10+ laptop models with NVIDIA GPU and linux (or DOS) in mine:
    http://www.skytech.lt/nesiojami-komp...ize=100&page=1
    Why do they even use DOS? Do they hate Linux that much?

Couldn't they use a console-only Linux distro or at least even EFI Shell?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post

We don't need "official" Linux support. We just need hardware specs. It is our open source OS, not Nvidia's or some vendor's. Guess how many PCs where "officially supporting a Linux OS" between 1990 and 2010. Yeah. And that is not the point. Open minded people choose what is good quality and works for them. All we need is public hardware specs so everyone can write their own code.
    If it is your open source OS, then it is your burden to support it and you have no right to blame NVIDIA for not supporting it. They have not promised to support any laptops. God, open source fanatics feel entitled way too often as if the whole world owes them open designs and open source.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Speaking of Europe: if I'm not mistaken they enacted this peculiar law which mandates that laptop OEMs must sell laptops without Windows preinstalled in certain countries/certain models/etc - I don't know the details. And right under the first laptop:

https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/...gb-ssd-freedos

A gazillion of offers to buy Windows 10. Kinda silly if you think about that. Also show me where any of these etailers mention Linux at least once on the pages of their website. I dare you. Or better yet show me results from Amazon, Newegg, B&H, BestBuy, OfficeDepot, etc.
    Last edited by birdie; 23 February 2020, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

You are the only fanboy/shill here dude. And bloody retarded too.

By the way all the "features" you ask for are oveclocker niche features. They are nice to haves but hardly essential. Most people don't overclock their cpus even on Windows. Overclocking is dead because it is rather useless, overclocking was a FAD 10-20 years ago.

AMD hardware provides the best Linux experience and is highly recommended. We don't care about Nvidia shit.
    Monitoring of your HW sensors is not a feature for overclocking. It's an essential feature for everyone who cares about the longevity of their HW. For instance I discovered that my Ryzen 3700X had very bad thermals after patching the k10 driver - now my system runs a lot cooler thanks to it. Meanwhile I've never overclocked a single piece of equipment in my entire life.

If you have more money then common sense, then my condolences. I just don't understand why you're running Linux in the first place.

Meanwhile, welcome to my blacklist, bloody open source fanatic. I'm sure as hell you haven't filed a single bug report in your entire life, haven't submitted a single patch and most likely started using Linux a month ago.
    Last edited by birdie; 23 February 2020, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X