Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Few More Linux Kernel Patches Floated This Week For AMD Family 19h (Zen 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Just on observation: laptops with discrete NVIDIA graphics are sold with Windows preinstalled. Always. If you deliberately install an unsupported OS, then it's only your fault.

And that kinda invalidated the years long "F you NVIDIA" movement started after a comment from Linus Torvalds who replied to a woman who couldn't make her laptop with discrete NVIDIA graphics work under Linux. Yeah, she created a problem for herself, Linus kinda sorta shared her sentiment, the whole Linux community decided to demonize NVIDIA. Wow. So intelligent. So thoughtful.

Bloody rampant fanboys. Show me a single sentence on NVIDIA's website where they recommend Linux to be installed on laptops with NVIDIA GPUs.
    You are the only fanboy/shill here dude. And bloody retarded too.

By the way all the "features" you ask for are oveclocker niche features. They are nice to haves but hardly essential. Most people don't overclock their cpus even on Windows. Overclocking is dead because it is rather useless, overclocking was a FAD 10-20 years ago.

AMD hardware provides the best Linux experience and is highly recommended. We don't care about Nvidia shit.

Leave a comment:

• Pop!_OS_Gaming
    replied

Just on observation: laptops with discrete NVIDIA graphics are sold with Windows preinstalled. Always. If you deliberately install an unsupported OS, then it's only your fault.

And that kinda invalidated the years long "F you NVIDIA" movement started after a comment from Linus Torvalds who replied to a woman who couldn't make her laptop with discrete NVIDIA graphics work under Linux. Yeah, she created a problem for herself, Linus kinda sorta shared her sentiment, the whole Linux community decided to demonize NVIDIA. Wow. So intelligent. So thoughtful.

Bloody rampant fanboys. Show me a single sentence on NVIDIA's website where they recommend Linux to be installed on laptops with NVIDIA GPUs.
    Just my personal experience but I have Pop!_OS running on a Legion Y530 and it has been nothing but a dream with hybrid graphics. It worked right out of install perfectly without a hitch. There is problems all over, but Linux is getting better each day and It has gotten so much better as of late. I mean gaming on Linux has exploded in the past 2 years. Who knows what Nvidia is planning with their open source drivers. I think companies are finally seeing that Linux is very capable in the desktop realm and things will be shifting over to help support their products in Linux.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

We don't need "official" Linux support. We just need hardware specs. It is our open source OS, not Nvidia's or some vendor's. Guess how many PCs where "officially supporting a Linux OS" between 1990 and 2010. Yeah. And that is not the point. Open minded people choose what is good quality and works for them. All we need is public hardware specs so everyone can write their own code.

Leave a comment:

• Raven3x7
    replied

And here we have people outright lying. There are no laptops with discrete NVIDIA GPUs which are sold without Windows preinstalled. None. Never happened. There are cheap Intel/AMD laptops with iGPUs which are sold OSless - but it's a whole different matter.
    I get 242 results here https://geizhals.de/?cat=nb&xf=10929_Windkeinows~8150_NVIDIA&sort=t&hl oc=at&hloc=de&v=e
    Last edited by Raven3x7; 23 February 2020, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drakonas777
    replied

And here we have people outright lying. There are no laptops with discrete NVIDIA GPUs which are sold without Windows preinstalled. None. Never happened. There are cheap Intel/AMD laptops with iGPUs which are sold OSless - but it's a whole different matter.
    Maybe this is true for your region. However, I can purchase at least 10+ laptop models with NVIDIA GPU and linux (or DOS) in mine:

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by lem79 View Post
    Actually my laptop came without an OS, but anyway. Obviously the OEM recommended Windows, but it was known to work under Linux to a reasonable extent (and it does, it's just messy to manage the X server and powersaving). And like wizard69 said, if we took your logic to the extreme, no one would use Linux on anything ever, and we wouldn't have got to this point in the first place where we actually have a choice to use it at all.

Thankfully, there should be some mid-high end Ryzen laptops coming out this year, which I'll certainly be looking at. Just waiting for one that fits my needs, and uses the 7nm Zen stuff.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    That so called bug report is pure garbage. It reflects a personal opinion that the software should work a certain way when it has never supported what the poster wants.
    1. The bug report is corroborated by a kernel developer, not by some nonamer from Phoronix with a funky username.
    2. The required features are available under Windows.

Meanwhile I've added you to my black list 'because I don't share your aggressive sentiment which is "Linux is free, so you may as well eat shit" which is further contradicted by the fact that AMD calls itself committed to open source. Except it's a really selective commitment. The Zen uArch was released over three years ago and the original Zen CPUs still cannot be fully monitored or managed (again, the same bug report) under Linux. What a dubious commitment.

Writing to r/AMD? Are you alternatively gifted? AMD couldn't give a fuq about Reddit. Only when certain threads get thousands of upvotes, they start acting on them. There are like 1% of desktop Linux users for AMD products, so ... what the fuq, that's not even funny.

And people wonder why Linux doesn't get more popular: it's simple, you visit Linux forums and see all kinds of fanatics who can justify the thousands ways in which Linux is broken/incomplete and then they make you feel bad for even asking for feature parity.

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied

Actually my laptop came without an OS, but anyway. Obviously the OEM recommended Windows, but it was known to work under Linux to a reasonable extent (and it does, it's just messy to manage the X server and powersaving). And like wizard69 said, if we took your logic to the extreme, no one would use Linux on anything ever, and we wouldn't have got to this point in the first place where we actually have a choice to use it at all.

Thankfully, there should be some mid-high end Ryzen laptops coming out this year, which I'll certainly be looking at. Just waiting for one that fits my needs, and uses the 7nm Zen stuff.

Leave a comment:

• JustRob
    replied
    It can work basically one of two ways.

1. People can write a bunch of software however they want and expect people to build hardware that will run it.

2. People can build hardware which is expected to support a particular architecture and expect people to write software that runs on it.

Now if only the critics who write the software end users who are able to choose both the software and hardware were capable of building the hardware, in some cases writing better code, then some of the criticisms voiced above would hold greater weight.

Hardware undergoes extensive testing and trials before going out to the general public, occasionally there's a blatant blunder and less frequently (though not recently) a blunder that reaches back for years. It's up to everyone involved in the early trials to flesh out the bugs, and then (only then) for the hardware manufacturers to fix them.

Neither bug free hardware nor software is easy to create and while we understand the end-user's point, that they just want it to work, one should appreciate how far we've come; that the phone in your pocket (and some people's wrist watches) are more advanced than the computers that got mankind to the moon.

Leave a comment:

• Space Heater
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    Don't forget: AMD is really changing the industry in a lot of ways, with their heavy multicore liftings.
    Just because AMD processors are currently better than Intel's doesn't mean that AMD is somehow above criticism.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X