Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD vs. Linux Scaling Up To 128 Threads With The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD vs. Linux Scaling Up To 128 Threads With The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Phoronix: FreeBSD vs. Linux Scaling Up To 128 Threads With The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Last week I looked at the Windows vs. Linux scaling performance on the Threadripper 3990X at varying core/thread counts followed by looking at the Windows 10 performance against eight Linux distributions for this $3990 USD processor running within the System76 Thelio Major workstation. Now the tables have turned for our first look at this 64-core / 128-thread processor running on the BSDs, FreeBSD 12.1 in particular. With this article is looking at the FreeBSD 12.1 performance and seeing how the performance scales compared to Ubuntu 20.04 Linux and the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 based CentOS Stream.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    At 16 cores FreeBSD 12.1 with GCC was the slowest while at 32 cores it tieds with Ubuntu 20.04 and at all higher core/thread counts was performing much better than Ubuntu.

Phoronix New Charts - Easier to Print

Comment

Nice article. I'd just prefer the y axis of the graph start at 0, rather than being cut at the lower y value.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        Nice article. I'd just prefer the y axis of the graph start at 0, rather than being cut at the lower y value.
        "Look at that massive improvement! Looks like ~4x or something like that!"
        "..."
        "Wait, I did the math and it is actually 4%"

Comment

Looks like FreeBSD scales decently. DragonflyBSD should scale way better.

Comment

Too bad FreeBSD doesn't have SELinux or AppArmor equivalent. It would be more fair, because they affect performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
              Too bad FreeBSD doesn't have SELinux or AppArmor equivalent. It would be more fair, because they affect performance.
              Yes, they do. Look up Capsicum.

Comment

Michael I think it would be cool to run the GraphicsMagick test with more granularity, to find where the scaling falls down. It seems to be somewhere between 48 and 64. Is it difficult to limit the threads to arbitrary numbers between those two?

Comment

Would it scale better with parallel benchmarks running as 2x64 or 4x32 threads?

Comment

"For the Build2 build system benchmark, CentOS Stream was the fastest while Ubuntu 20.04 was the slowest."

The chart says the opposite, Ubuntu was the fastest, CentOS the slowest.

Comment

Working...
                    X