Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noctua NH-U9S Performance For The AMD Ryzen 9 3950X + Ondemand vs. Performance Governors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noctua NH-U9S Performance For The AMD Ryzen 9 3950X + Ondemand vs. Performance Governors

Phoronix: Noctua NH-U9S Performance For The AMD Ryzen 9 3950X + Ondemand vs. Performance Governors

For those that may be looking to run an air-cooled AMD Ryzen 9 3950X especially in a rack-mount 4U chassis, here are some recent results I did from some testing using a Noctua NH-U9S with two 92mm fan configuration. Additionally, these results contain performance metrics from both CPUFreq Ondemand vs. Performance governors as an additional point of interest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael You really went all out on the bling for the RAM, I approve

Comment

No tuning of the ondemand governor? No wonder it performs like shit. Set sampling_rate to something bigger than 1 (try 100).

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
        Michael You really went all out on the bling for the RAM, I approve
        That was part of the reviewer's kit for the 3990X or some recent AMD launch.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
          No tuning of the ondemand governor? No wonder it performs like shit. Set sampling_rate to something bigger than 1 (try 100).
          Default config on Ubuntu.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'd rather prefer a Noctua NH-D15 on my 3950x ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB9EJcOGGaw

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              That was part of the reviewer's kit for the 3990X or some recent AMD launch.
              Those memory sticks belong in a rap video. They should be next to a Bentley full of subwoofers, with some fly girls dancing around. Bling bling baby!
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 10 February 2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Article
                The NH-U9S was testes...
                Freudian slip? There were two of them after all...

Comment

I don't think the ondemand governor is going to be optimal for a benchmark usage pattern, which naturally has a higher level of usage than usual.

That said, I've always preferred use of the performance governor and I think especially on modern CPUs it works out well because it delegates the decision to the processor, essentially just setting a performance bias. The CPU is probably in the best position to make the fast decisions about how to use power most effectively.

Comment

I'd be really interested in power usage figures.

How do you set the governor on Ryzen CPUs, BTW?

Comment

Working...
                    X