AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Offers Incredible Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross View Post
    Meanwhile in Windows the SMT status and OS edition matter a lot for such a large CPU. Anandtech has a good explanation of the issues, but it boils down to having as big differences as:
    Who is running this under such OS...

Comment

Apparently this processor has issues on Windows, because Windows splits virtual cores into groups of 64 and by default applications can only run in a single such group without using special APIs.

This might be a much better processor for Linux than for Windows.

Would have loved to see a chromium compile though. That scales extremely well with more cores.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
        I have no use for this many cores, but I might buy one for the hell of it.
        For $4000? And with also very expensive and likely quirky motherboards... I find this awesome and as someone working on extremely large code-bases might exactly be in the category of users this was designed for. But I will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
          I have no use for this many cores, but I might buy one for the hell of it.
          Oh shit guys, we got a big shot over here.

Comment

Was about to say that the 3990x is making my 2990wx look very bad.

Then I saw that the 2990wx only had 1/4 the ram in the 3990x.

Seriously? Is this how you benchmark?

Comment

Xeon -> Xeoff

ayy lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if getting these results out on launch day used up every stick of fast memory in Chateau Larabel.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if getting these results out on launch day used up every stick of fast memory in Chateau Larabel.
                  That 32GB was the stock at-launch kit AMD recommended for the 2990WX at the time and thus normally what is in that system when not swapping out parts to match. Due to the time crunch and not knowing how this System76 system with 3990X was going to be configured exactly until Wednesday in order to match when re-testing the older CPUs, there obviously wasn't enough time to re-test all other systems with that same 128GB kit. Granted none of the workloads tested really target 32GB+ RAM and the important aspect is each system was making use of all available RAM channels in each platform and at their optimal frequencies.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's kind of a nice problem to have when you don't know how you are going to utilize an entire cpu. The artificial clamping down on cores doesn't bode well for VMware and the like though. They should know better. They aren't doing their customers or shareholders any favors.
                    Last edited by ThoreauHD; 08 February 2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      This I actually noticed first, what a beautiful case. Yes seeing a $4k AMD chip absolutely ravage intel's $20k flagship is pretty cool. But that case. Dayum. This "Thelio Major" chassis is dead sexy. Why do so many cases on the market today look like some kind of robotic reject from a Michael Bay film? Seriously, is that what the kids are into? I can't stand the Voltron / Transformer peecee case look at all. Going to system76 now to price one out, hot damn that would look good on my desk.
                      My beef is the cases that look like discos. How the heck are you supposed to do color grading with studio 54 next to your desk?

Comment

Working...
                      X