Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Possible typo under Coremark results ?
    If I'm parsing correctly I think the text is saying that 3990X is slower than 3970X, while results show 3990X is faster.
    Whoops, fixed up that string so it's more clear. Thanks. Long week, after not getting a review sample from AMD, system76 came to the rescue and was then only was briefed on Monday and then received the system from System76 on Wednesday.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder how much these results could further be improved upon with a purpose built driver for AMD Zen CPUs akin to Intel's "intel_pstate / intel-cpufreq" instead of utilising the rather generic "acpi-cpufreq"?

Any status update on that front, bridgman?

Comment

This is truly amazing! What is even more significant is upgrades to the chiplets isn’t far away, so see this as a start for high performance computing in one box! 7nm plus should loss power usage and increase clock speed. If some of the stuff I’ve seen related to TSMC 5nm process are true in 2 - 3 years time we could see a very significant step increase in performance.

sadly I have no way to justify the purchase of such a machine.

Comment

Pretty striking contrast to Anandtech who spent 20% of the article talking about all the problems Windows 10 has with this processor and ended up benchmarking 2 or 3 different Windows 10 editions for each measurement... and results varying dramatically between them and not in a consistent way where you could pick one and stick with it over a variety of workloads. anybody using this monster in a Windows 10 system deserves what they get.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
            Pretty striking contrast to Anandtech who spent 20% of the article talking about all the problems Windows 10 has with this processor and ended up benchmarking 2 or 3 different Windows 10 editions for each measurement... and results varying dramatically between them and not in a consistent way where you could pick one and stick with it over a variety of workloads. anybody using this monster in a Windows 10 system deserves what they get.
            I guess being the de facto standard OS kernel for HPC nodes does come with some nice scalability perks.

Comment

This is some really phenomenal performance. I really wish I had this cpu a few years back when I was running simulations 24/7 on some retrospectively slow Intel cpus. This thing is a beast.

Also news at 11, M$ still hasn't figured out how to properly run on more than 16 cores. Yikes.

Comment

This CPU is clearly amazing and I have been looking into putting a system together for scientific calculations. Trouble is there is barely any UDIMM ECC memory available. Most UDIMM ECC tops out at 2133MHz (you would probably want to feed this thing with 3200MHz memory. Also, you'd top out at 256GB memory (8x32GB), which one could make due but is not available.
                Sure, one could go EPYC then. However, there are barely any EPYC workstation motherboards out there and all come with serious compromises. The only viable option for workstation use seems to be the ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T. It does not have audio (sure), but good luck finding it in the US.
                Does anyone have experience with building an affordable (as in <$10k) 64 core system for science/computing?
                Thanks.

Comment

Not complaining, but the title of this article made me think we'd be seeing this CPU benchmarked on different OSes (with Linux of course dominating).

Comment

Bloody beast indeed. Imagine the 3990X on ebay for cheap in a few years - would still keep up with probably anything Intel has to offer for at least the next 2yrs and at ebay cheap 2nd prices eventually !

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                      I love the wood-grain on that computer case!
                      This I actually noticed first, what a beautiful case. Yes seeing a $4k AMD chip absolutely ravage intel's $20k flagship is pretty cool. But that case. Dayum. This "Thelio Major" chassis is dead sexy. Why do so many cases on the market today look like some kind of robotic reject from a Michael Bay film? Seriously, is that what the kids are into? I can't stand the Voltron / Transformer peecee case look at all. Going to system76 now to price one out, hot damn that would look good on my desk.

Comment

Working...
                      X