Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Offers Incredible Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Offers Incredible Linux Performance

If you are looking for the absolute best single-socket workstation performance for Linux, there has already been the Threadripper 3970X that easily outperforms the likes of the Core i9 10980XE as Intel's top-end HEDT product, but now the Threadripper 3990X is shipping. The Threadripper 3990X is AMD's first 64-core / 128-thread desktop/workstation processor and will love your multi-threaded workloads from code compilation to content creation. As shown in our benchmarks, this single CPU is indeed faster than $20k worth of Intel Xeon Platinum CPUs.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=28862

Wow, this CPU is a beast. Go AMD

I read somewhere that with such powerful CPUs, VMware changed their license for CPUs with 32 cores and increased prices for 64 core CPUs.

Comment

Bloody hell... It's quite rare to see new hardware that actually has performance that can be described as a "mindboggling" compared to what came just before it.

If this CPU had a theme song, I'd probably be something like Back to Shalla-Bal by Joe Satriani.

Comment

Would like to see an htop screen.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          Bloody hell... It's quite rare to see new hardware that actually has performance that can be described as a "mindboggling" compared to what came just before it.
          Especially considering the price differences

Comment

A perf / dollar chart would be pretty cool for this one

Comment

mawhahahah!!! this is awesome!

Comment

Meanwhile in Windows the SMT status and OS edition matter a lot for such a large CPU. Anandtech has a good explanation of the issues, but it boils down to having as big differences as:

Comment

Meanwhile at Intel HQ...

Comment

I love the wood-grain on that computer case!

Last edited by tildearrow; 02-07-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X