Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtIO-FS Is Looking Quite Good For Shared File-System With VMs

Phoronix: VirtIO-FS Is Looking Quite Good For Shared File-System With VMs

Added back to Linux 5.4 was VirtIO-FS for better file/folder sharing with guest VMs that makes use of the FUSE protocol but is much faster than the likes of virtio-9p...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will they consider create Windows client maybe?

Transparent access to Linux host files directly from Windows VM is the second most wanted feature in KVM/QEMU for me (after 3D acceleration, and maybe better audio support

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
      Will they consider create Windows client maybe?

Transparent access to Linux host files directly from Windows VM is the second most wanted feature in KVM/QEMU for me (after 3D acceleration, and maybe better audio support
      Given that Red Hat supports Windows guests, I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

If I understand this correctly, the VirtIO-FS stuff has already been upstreamed, right?

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Given that Red Hat supports Windows guests, I wouldn't be surprised.
        We will see. They don’t always offer support for everything.

Comment

Apparently this is way better than Virtualbox file sharing?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Apparently this is way better than Virtualbox file sharing?
            Anything is going to be better than how VirtualBox does things.

Comment

What I'd actually love to have is the opposite: a virtio-fs daemon for windows, as I run win10 as base os, and linux in virtualbox (there are reasons for that, no need to tell mewhy you think it's a fscked up setup).
              Currently I use samba to export the date from the vm to windows instead of doing it the opposite way because a) windows fs does not like cases-sensitive files and b) io-intensive apps running in the vm like it a lot.
              The main problems I have at the moment are the fact that network restarts mean I loose my samba mounts, and the fact that I have to start the vm in order to be able to access its contents...

Comment

Working...
              X