No announcement yet.

Linux k10temp Driver For AMD CPUs Updated To Better Handle Power/Temp Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux k10temp Driver For AMD CPUs Updated To Better Handle Power/Temp Analysis

Phoronix: Linux k10temp Driver For AMD CPUs Updated To Better Handle Power/Temp Analysis

As we have been eagerly talking about for the past week, the Linux kernel's k10temp driver was updated for better AMD CPU CCD temperatures and voltage/current reporting. Those improvements have been quickly evolving thanks to the work of the open-source community with AMD still sadly holding the datasheets concerning the power/temperature registers close to their vest. A new version of k10temp was sent out on Wednesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael could you reach out to AMD for an official comment on this issue?

Comment

AMD still sadly holding the datasheets concerning the power/temperature registers close to their vest.
      AMD, fsck you.

AMD currently isn't releasing documentation/datasheets concerning the power/thermal registers or any reference code for that matter.
      It sucks. I'm going to get my new workstations with Intel hardware instead.

AMD is extremely disappointing.

How pathetic. It's even worse than the lazy Linux support that Intel offers.

Many Linux desktop users dream of seeing something someday like AMD Ryzen Master coming to Linux.
      I would prefer a vendor agnostic solution as kernel and standardized userspace subsystems with integration of desktop environments, but something with these features.

So...
      "YES".

Comment

The DebugFS dumping from the 3970X has already helped to discover additional CCD temperatures.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wouldn't EPYC servers look more attractive with proper thermal and power reporting on Linux?

Come on, AMD!

Comment

I really don't understand why AMD keeps these CPU MSRs under NDA - they can be trivially reverse engineered by analyzing HWiNFO64.

Also, they are worthless for Intel and ... we have no other x86 CPUs manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              additional CCD temperatures.
              Do you mean, it reports temperatures for inactive chiplets?

Comment

Yeah agreed, AMD should help with this kind of stuff, and also offer something similar to Ryzen Master!

bridgman I know this is pretty far from you, but maybe you could contact someone about this, pretty please.

Comment

Post this topic to /r/AMD. Lisa Su lurks there.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
                    Michael could you reach out to AMD for an official comment on this issue?
                    I have been lobbying AMD in person at events and via emails over this matter for a while now... Unfortunately no apparent progress yet.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X