Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Ryzen 9 3950X vs. Core i9 9900KS In Nearly 150 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Ryzen 9 3950X vs. Core i9 9900KS In Nearly 150 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Ryzen 9 3950X vs. Core i9 9900KS In Nearly 150 Benchmarks

This week our AMD Ryzen 9 3950X review sample finally arrived and so we've begun putting it through the paces of many different benchmarks. The first of these Linux tests with the Ryzen 9 3950X is looking at the performance up against the Ryzen 9 3900X and Intel Core i9 9900KS in 149 different tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that's a pretty significant lead AMD has over intel, not just in raw performance, but also in performance per dollar spent. My my how the tables have turned from a decade ago!! Not to mention added AMD advantage of PCIe 4.0, faster iGPU options, and none of the hardware security flaws that have plagued intel CPU (and now GPU) in recent years. There is literally no reason to buy intel here in 2020.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 17 January 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

ITT: Michael proves that intel is no longer something to even consider when buying new hw

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Wow, that's a pretty significant lead AMD has over intel, not just in raw performance, but also in performance per dollar spent. My my how the tables have turned from a decade ago!! Not to mention added AMD advantage of PCIe 4.0, faster iGPU options, and none of the hardware security flaws that have plagued intel CPU (and now GPU) in recent years. There is literally no reason to buy intel here in 2020.
        Not to mention AMD is coming out with Zen 3 this year. It will be a slaughter at that point. The architectural improvements are big from what I've read, as large as the performance jump in the last generation.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

Not to mention AMD is coming out with Zen 3 this year. It will be a slaughter at that point. The architectural improvements are big from what I've read, as large as the performance jump in the last generation.
          I would like AMD to delay Zen3 for their own good. Just reap every dollar they can from Zen2, so they have the cash to fight intel/nvidia when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post

I would like AMD to delay Zen3 for their own good.
            I read that they are slowing down the cadence, to be something between 12 to 18 months, instead of 12 months, so Zen 3 would be launched later this year, like end of Q3 or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

Amd will bring Architectural improvements and a minor node upgrade, not Zen+ -> zen2 improvements but we should see a major thing fixed, a good 10% ipc and frequency, nothing to get disappointed about but it will definitely not be a zen+->zen2.

just want to point that out in plain and simple words, and yes.. it'll be a slaughter.

Comment

I have a 9900KS sitting on my desk waiting to install. It's a terrible deal price wise. The alternative though was that I would spend a lot more building an entirely new PC (bit of a hobby, I don't build budget ...). So, I decided to just max out the cpu for now. That'll last me quite a while.

Comment

Intel will have Ice Lakes and Tiger Lakes coming out this year so the Zen 3 better be good if AMD wants to stay strong in the race. Anyway, the ices have finally moved and both major manufacturers are rolling out products with actual improvements as opposed to Intel's refresh of a refresh of a refresh.

Comment

I have a Ryzen 1800X system and I've been thinking of plopping a 3900X into it - without upgrading the motherboard. I don't really need the PCIe 4.0 and the things I have read say that performance is pretty good on the x370 motherboards.

My board (ASRock x370 Taichi) does have the 3900X on the compatibility list and articles like this just encourage me.

Comment

Working...
                    X