AMD Announcements From CES 2020: Ryzen 4000 Mobile Series, Radeon RX 5600 XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
    Way too much in my opinion. It is configurable down to 12w tdp, but that's still twice the tdp of my current desktop, which is three years old. Come on AMD, you're practically forcing me to buy Intel again.
    Twice the (announced) tdp, but everyone knows what tdp means to Intel...
    Also, how many times more the performance for the tdp? And how much cheaper?
    Those are also valid points.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It makes sense to expect it only if you are going to buy it. In terms of performance, isn't Radeon VII sufficient?
      No, it isn't due to the older architecture (and hence older video coding block).

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        It's pretty hard to get to the point of diminishing returns. There's no excuse for putting so little VRAM in a GPU. I thought AMD wasn't playing the planned obsolescence game like Nvidia does, where they release new GPUs that can't even max out something as basic as textures in already released games.
        What does any of this has to do with you wanting to load textures to RAM that are too high resolution to be rendered at the target display? It's not just diminishing returns. There's absolutely no returns: Only down sides. Bigger RAM means more lanes, power and cooling. Bigger textures than the target means you need to actively downscale the texture resolution.

Comment

My GTX 1070 (6.5 TF) works fine at 4k for all the games I care about.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

What does any of this has to do with you wanting to load textures to RAM that are too high resolution to be rendered at the target display? It's not just diminishing returns. There's absolutely no returns: Only down sides. Bigger RAM means more lanes, power and cooling. Bigger textures than the target means you need to actively downscale the texture resolution.
            All bitmap textures are too low in resolution if you look close enough. It's obvious that games are designed with more VRAM in mind these days, so it's disgusting that a manufacturer would design another DOA card, especially after the flop of lower end Turing cards from Nvidia struggling with high details at 1080p (which this card is supposed to do well).

Comment

I am not sure whether you mean accelerated video decoding or encoding. Accelerated video encoding with AMD GPUs has little support in Linux, as far as I know.
              It's supported with both VA-API and OpenMAX. It works well with gstreamer in my experience.

Comment

I am not sure whether you mean accelerated video decoding or encoding. Accelerated video encoding with AMD GPUs has little support in Linux, as far as I know.
                I mean encoding in particular.

Ugh, I hate that... No, I don't have the time to delve into kernel development right now...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

It's supported with both VA-API and OpenMAX. It works well with gstreamer in my experience.
                  Partially:

- Never got OpenMAX to ever work
                  - Can't set encoding speed/quality trade-off using VA-API
                  - AMF requires AMDGPU-PRO and that does not work on Arch anymore (and probably won't under openSUSE)
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 10 January 2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Buy Intel already. No one cares about your 3 watt TDP issue.
                    This is why Linux will never be a success on the desktop. People don't care about power consumption at all, which means we will never cope with global warming (instead fueling it) and never outperform Windows/macOS at battery life.

Sadly, Windows is better at power consumption. My Vega card under Windows uses 2-3W when doing nothing (with a desktop), while Linux uses 6W when doing nothing, in the console!

Comment

I'm hoping to see some AM4 APUs with Zen 2 cores and 7 nm Vega. Would be a nice upgrade for my living room PC which currently has some really old stuff there (Wolfdale and Turks) but that was just initial build waiting for some proper parts.
                      Last edited by Tomin; 16 January 2020, 06:04 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X