AMD Announcements From CES 2020: Ryzen 4000 Mobile Series, Radeon RX 5600 XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
    Way too much in my opinion. It is configurable down to 12w tdp, but that's still twice the tdp of my current desktop, which is three years old. Come on AMD, you're practically forcing me to buy Intel again.
    Buy Intel already. No one cares about your 3 watt TDP issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Buy Intel already. No one cares about your 3 watt TDP issue.
      I already have Intel. My point is that manufacturers should be competing at who burns less power and consumers should be fighting for that. Thumbs up for Microsoft efforts on ARM, since AMD is apparently unwilling to enter this power segment. I wonder why ... Zen2 cores are perfectly fine at 2-3W per core (see Epyc), it seems there are some market(ing) issues here ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Almost sounded good but they've squeezed vega trash in there
        Sounds like highly up graded Vega trash. I’ve already tried searching for independent bench mark to see what the truth is. Sadly no reviews yet.

Comment

I already have Intel. My point is that manufacturers should be competing at who burns less power and consumers should be fighting for that. Thumbs up for Microsoft efforts on ARM, since AMD is apparently unwilling to enter this power segment. I wonder why ... Zen2 cores are perfectly fine at 2-3W per core (see Epyc), it seems there are some market(ing) issues here ...
          You have no idea what the actual power will be at any given load. Until these chips are seen in shipping machines we really will not know what the power profile is.

by the way I’m with you on the idea of usable ARM based laptops! However the characteristics of ARM chip under load must be considered too. Actual performance relative to these AMD chips can impact my desire to consider an ARM based laptop. It really looks likeAMD is in a leadership position at the moment.

Comment

This CES keynote has me very interested in a new laptop this year. However I’m not going all in (trying to resist anyways) until we have reviews indicating that everything is ready. That means no BIOS issues and graphics drivers that work.

Comment

Still await for AMD Sensor Fusion HUB driver for mobile Raven Ridge and up. Vainly trying to find a patchwork location for testing.

Comment

Disappointing pricing for the 5600 XT, guess I'll wait until the summer when Nvidia releases Ampere and prices shift down.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

The maxed out textures are for 4k.
                  It's pretty hard to get to the point of diminishing returns. There's no excuse for putting so little VRAM in a GPU. I thought AMD wasn't playing the planned obsolescence game like Nvidia does, where they release new GPUs that can't even max out something as basic as textures in already released games.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    It is interesting that in year 2015 the R9 390/390X (5 TFLOPS FP32) were considered to be 4K gaming cards, while in year 2020 the RX 5600 XT (7 TFLOPS FP32) is considered to be a 1080p gaming card.
                    The thing about graphics is that it's not just the resolution that goes up over time, you also get higher quality assets (higher poly models, higher res textures, etc.), new and higher quality effects, more objects on-screen at once and more expansive play areas (which require more assets to be constantly shifted in and out of memory).

Also, AMD's "4k" card back in 2015 was the Fury X with 8.6 TFLOPS FP32, not the warmed up R9 290 from two years earlier.

Way too much in my opinion. It is configurable down to 12w tdp, but that's still twice the tdp of my current desktop, which is three years old. Come on AMD, you're practically forcing me to buy Intel again.
                    Well considering this is not something in the Atom/i3-tier in terms of performance it's a bit much to expect it to be in within the same power envelope as something with a fraction of the performance. There's probably eventually going to be something like the embedded Ryzen APUs that you can find in the Smach Z handheld and Atari VCS console that'll be equivalent of Intel's stuff in that power envelope, but to expect an 8C/16T part within the power envelope of a thin client is unrealistic to say the least.
                    Last edited by L_A_G; 07 January 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                      If only that six was an eight, I might care.
                      Or if that six was priced like a six ($160)... Then it might make sense...

Comment

Working...
                      X