Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Announcements From CES 2020: Ryzen 4000 Mobile Series, Radeon RX 5600 XT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

    I am not sure whether you mean accelerated video decoding or encoding. Accelerated video encoding with AMD GPUs has little support in Linux, as far as I know.
    It's supported with both VA-API and OpenMAX. It works well with gstreamer in my experience.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

      I am not sure whether you mean accelerated video decoding or encoding. Accelerated video encoding with AMD GPUs has little support in Linux, as far as I know.
      I mean encoding in particular.

      Ugh, I hate that... No, I don't have the time to delve into kernel development right now...

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by agd5f View Post

        It's supported with both VA-API and OpenMAX. It works well with gstreamer in my experience.
        Partially:

        - Never got OpenMAX to ever work
        - Can't set encoding speed/quality trade-off using VA-API
        - AMF requires AMDGPU-PRO and that does not work on Arch anymore (and probably won't under openSUSE)
        Last edited by tildearrow; 01-10-2020, 08:43 PM.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

          Buy Intel already. No one cares about your 3 watt TDP issue.
          This is why Linux will never be a success on the desktop. People don't care about power consumption at all, which means we will never cope with global warming (instead fueling it) and never outperform Windows/macOS at battery life.

          Sadly, Windows is better at power consumption. My Vega card under Windows uses 2-3W when doing nothing (with a desktop), while Linux uses 6W when doing nothing, in the console!

          Comment


          • #45
            I'm hoping to see some AM4 APUs with Zen 2 cores and 7 nm Vega. Would be a nice upgrade for my living room PC which currently has some really old stuff there (Wolfdale and Turks) but that was just initial build waiting for some proper parts.
            Last edited by Tomin; 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM. Reason: typo

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              My Vega card under Windows uses 2-3W when doing nothing (with a desktop), while Linux uses 6W when doing nothing, in the console.
              Adding "amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff" to Linux kernel's command-line can potentially lower GPU's power consumption, if you don't happen to have it on the command-line yet. Setting ppfeaturemask can bring about other problems though.

              Maybe the clock gating info in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info can be compared to its equivalent in Windows, but unfortunately I do not know how to obtain such information in Windows.

              Comment


              • #47
                What do you think? - Will we see 3980X anytime?

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  This is why Linux will never be a success on the desktop. People don't care about power consumption at all, which means we will never cope with global warming (instead fueling it) and never outperform Windows/macOS at battery life.
                  If it helps, I think you are getting flamed only because you picked a high end Renoir rather than one of our lower power chips, eg the 6W part we supply for Chromebook systems, to compare to your Atom system for power consumption.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 01-08-2020, 12:06 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                    This is why Linux will never be a success on the desktop. People don't care about power consumption at all, which means we will never cope with global warming (instead fueling it) and never outperform Windows/macOS at battery life.

                    Sadly, Windows is better at power consumption. My Vega card under Windows uses 2-3W when doing nothing (with a desktop), while Linux uses 6W when doing nothing, in the console!
                    Chicken and egg problem. Linux is 1% of the desktop market, most companies working on Linux invest far more than that, but to deliver the same level of feature support as windows you need an equivalent sized investment.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

                      Adding "amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff" to Linux kernel's command-line can potentially lower GPU's power consumption, if you don't happen to have it on the command-line yet. Setting ppfeaturemask can bring about other problems though.

                      Maybe the clock gating info in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info can be compared to its equivalent in Windows, but unfortunately I do not know how to obtain such information in Windows.
                      I tried doing so. No changes at all (still around 5-6W).
                      However, it did go down a bit in the console (to 3-4W).

                      Here's my PM info:

                      Code:
                      Clock Gating Flags Mask: 0xfe97cf
                             Graphics Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
                             Graphics Medium Grain memory Light Sleep: On
                             Graphics Coarse Grain Clock Gating: On
                             Graphics Coarse Grain memory Light Sleep: On
                             Graphics Coarse Grain Tree Shader Clock Gating: Off
                             Graphics Coarse Grain Tree Shader Light Sleep: Off
                             Graphics Command Processor Light Sleep: On
                             Graphics Run List Controller Light Sleep: On
                             Graphics 3D Coarse Grain Clock Gating: On
                             Graphics 3D Coarse Grain memory Light Sleep: On
                             Memory Controller Light Sleep: On
                             Memory Controller Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
                             System Direct Memory Access Light Sleep: On
                             System Direct Memory Access Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
                             Bus Interface Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
                             Bus Interface Light Sleep: On
                             Unified Video Decoder Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
                             Video Compression Engine Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
                             Host Data Path Light Sleep: On
                             Host Data Path Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
                             Digital Right Management Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
                             Digital Right Management Light Sleep: On
                             Rom Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
                             Data Fabric Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
                      
                      GFX Clocks and Power:
                             167 MHz (MCLK)
                             72 MHz (SCLK)
                             1269 MHz (PSTATE_SCLK)
                             800 MHz (PSTATE_MCLK)
                             806 mV (VDDGFX)
                             6.0 W (average GPU)
                      
                      GPU Temperature: 36 C
                      GPU Load: 0 %
                      
                      SMC Feature Mask: 0x0000000009a1ff4f
                      UVD: Disabled
                      
                      VCE: Disabled
                      I did notice that some of the clock gating flags are off...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X