Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wizard69
    replied
    This CES keynote has me very interested in a new laptop this year. However I’m not going all in (trying to resist anyways) until we have reviews indicating that everything is ready. That means no BIOS issues and graphics drivers that work.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by pegasus View Post
    I already have Intel. My point is that manufacturers should be competing at who burns less power and consumers should be fighting for that. Thumbs up for Microsoft efforts on ARM, since AMD is apparently unwilling to enter this power segment. I wonder why ... Zen2 cores are perfectly fine at 2-3W per core (see Epyc), it seems there are some market(ing) issues here ...
    You have no idea what the actual power will be at any given load. Until these chips are seen in shipping machines we really will not know what the power profile is.

by the way I’m with you on the idea of usable ARM based laptops! However the characteristics of ARM chip under load must be considered too. Actual performance relative to these AMD chips can impact my desire to consider an ARM based laptop. It really looks likeAMD is in a leadership position at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    Almost sounded good but they've squeezed vega trash in there
    Sounds like highly up graded Vega trash. I’ve already tried searching for independent bench mark to see what the truth is. Sadly no reviews yet.

Leave a comment:

• pegasus
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Buy Intel already. No one cares about your 3 watt TDP issue.
    I already have Intel. My point is that manufacturers should be competing at who burns less power and consumers should be fighting for that. Thumbs up for Microsoft efforts on ARM, since AMD is apparently unwilling to enter this power segment. I wonder why ... Zen2 cores are perfectly fine at 2-3W per core (see Epyc), it seems there are some market(ing) issues here ...

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by pegasus View Post
    Way too much in my opinion. It is configurable down to 12w tdp, but that's still twice the tdp of my current desktop, which is three years old. Come on AMD, you're practically forcing me to buy Intel again.
    Buy Intel already. No one cares about your 3 watt TDP issue.

Leave a comment:

• pegasus
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    15 watts for a 8c/16t laptop APU?
    Way too much in my opinion. It is configurable down to 12w tdp, but that's still twice the tdp of my current desktop, which is three years old. Come on AMD, you're practically forcing me to buy Intel again.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Now if only AMD supported coreboot.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Because RTG is a shit! AMD os only good for now on CPUs.
    False. Look at how Polaris/Vega outperformed NVIDIA in some tasks.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    15 watts for a 8c/16t laptop APU? I'd prefer that it was at least Vega 10/11 instead of 8 and I'll take a look at the rest of the lineup later, but I will definitely be buying my new laptop this year (replacing a 2009 13" MacBook pro).
    Doubling the number of cores only doubles the power consumption (assuming equal load across the cores). Doubling the frequency may almost quadruple the consumption. That's why it's cheaper to cram in more cores than higher freq.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    The pages for VCE and VCN in Wikipedia are so elusive: The section for VCE 4.0/4.1 has NO information at all, and same for VCN 2.0. It looks like AMD is being lazy here.

I just am tired that it is 2020 and AMD still does not provide 4:4:4 encoding/decoding support. NVIDIA did it with Maxwell. Intel did it with Ice Lake. So why not AMD?!

Also see zxy_thf's point below.
    Because RTG is a shit! AMD os only good for now on CPUs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X