AMD's Trusted Execution Environment Is Coming With Linux 5.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

You probably know this but just in case...

Talos II is a dual-socket motherboard, and there is a single-socket version (Lite) for less than half that price.
    There's also a uATX version called Blackbird, single socket, a bit cheaper than the Lite. We're just waiting for the FSF to certify that one too for RYF; the Talos II already has RYF (I do believe it's the only in-production standard mainboard to hold RYF, which is neat).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

You probably know this but just in case...

Talos II is a dual-socket motherboard, and there is a single-socket version (Lite) for less than half that price.
      I always "design" my systems with the best of the best parts. After that, budget comes in and starts cutting it up...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post

I always "design" my systems with the best of the best parts. After that, budget comes in and starts cutting it up...

Cheers
        To be fair, Lite was used primarily as a fast and cheap way to get low cost P9 development machines on the market for those that couldn't afford the full Talos II board (Blackbird was still being designed at that point). It served its purpose well, and is still the best choice for low cost 2U rackmount servers (e.g. high bandwidth secure network firewalls), but for desktop I'd definitely recommend Blackbird. You get onboard audio and a nicer form factor for small chassis options that way.

I actually use a Blackbird as my primary desktop at this point. It's a nice machine, and completely blob free sans GPU card-side firmware / SSD on-card firmware. Open ISA too!

Comment

Thanks for the info. You know of resellers in EU, pref Belgium ? Might come in handy later in the year.

Comment

Any idea how this would function in a windows guest under kvm? I'm against this feature on Linux, though... But we could use it for something else - like a process security feature. Just take their DRM tech and use it for our own purposes.

Comment

Thanks for the info. You know of resellers in EU, pref Belgium ? Might come in handy later in the year.
              Could reach out to https://www.vikings.net/ ; while they're not yet listing the products publicly by the time you're ready to go later this year they most likely will be. They're located in Germany, so not too far away.

Also if you were to need public cloud at some point, Integricloud has P9 VPS and dedicated server offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                Thanks mate, looks like a cool project. I'm constantly questioning my flowchart workflow. Gliffy is nice and simple but a online webapp, which you can't self-host, so automatically impossible for my work. TikZ is really great, but I find it very time consuming. Dia is too ugly. Visio is ok. I might adopt svgbob for the diagrams themselves, but I can see a weakness is their typesetting. The spacing between words is just horrible. The graphics themselves do look good, but I'll have to test it further.

For internal use it looks good. But when you're presenting stuff to a client, things like uneven spaces between words is a lot more important in practice than it should be, to a ridiculous extent. It's rather amazing how much markdown type editors have improved our ability to quickly produce things that look good. RIP Aaron Swartz.

Comment

Cheers
                  It's U$20K https://www.ibm.com/products/power-system-s914/pricing for the IBM S914 Desktop (with 64GB and 8 cores). "Best of best" and having a budget are almost always exclusive of each other. Something like the Fujitsu SPARC M12-1 costs *only* 3/4 that much: https://blog-archive.global.fujitsu....ressive-debut/ - with the previous generation for half the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post

It's U$20K https://www.ibm.com/products/power-system-s914/pricing for the IBM S914 Desktop (with 64GB and 8 cores). "Best of best" and having a budget are almost always exclusive of each other. Something like the Fujitsu SPARC M12-1 costs *only* 3/4 that much: https://blog-archive.global.fujitsu....ressive-debut/ - with the previous generation for half the cost.
                    Just to avoid any potential confusion for others on the thread, you can get a POWER9 desktop with 4 cores and 16GB RAM for under $3k, 8 cores and 64GB are not much more:

Comment

Working...
                    X