AMD Athlon 3000G Linux Performance Benchmarks - The New $50 Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athlon 3000G Linux Performance Benchmarks - The New $50 Processor

Phoronix: AMD Athlon 3000G Linux Performance Benchmarks - The New $50 Processor

Announced last month was the Athlon 3000G as a ~$49 processor based on Zen and featuring two cores / four threads and Vega 3 graphics. This 35 Watt TDP processor has finally begun appearing at more Internet retailers in stock last week and I was able to pick up one of these budget CPUs for $55 USD. Here are benchmarks of the Athlon 3000G on Ubuntu Linux compared to other low-end and older processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re: Encoding tests with this cpu, since this APU has an integrated Vega chip, it support hardware H264+H265 encoding via vaapi, through ffmpeg and other applications. You could have tested that to see what this little processor could do.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The Atlon 3000G is a two core / four thread processor

Comment

Michael. You've had such fits with the 2400g and the 2200g, what came about such that they finally stabilized for you?

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
          Michael. You've had such fits with the 2400g and the 2200g, what came about such that they finally stabilized for you?
          I have a 2400G. I haven't done a lot of testing with the GPU because I have a discrete card, but everything seems to work fine with modern distros (Neon, Arch, etc.).

Comment

It is rather disconcerting that core i3 beats Ryzen 5 in the things that I need. Not that I would do them on either. But it now has me looking suspiciously at my Ryzen 7 box.

Comment

speaking of which, at a little over $50 the 3950X is pretty amazing ;-) https://youtube.com/watch?v=tFNKXSZGyEo…

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                speaking of which, at a little over $50 the 3950X is pretty amazing ;-) https://youtube.com/watch?v=tFNKXSZGyEo…
                "Video is private."

Comment

I've been contemplating buying an Athlon 240GE for quite some time now (I like the 35w TDP although it is still way higher than my current A4-5000 based fileserver): It would have been really nice to have had the 240GE included in this benchmark.

One of the reasons I've been putting off the purchase was my reasoning "some of this ryzen magic is surely bound to find its way into the 35w segment". With all the progress with AMD's ryzen/threadripper series, I think it's rediculously lazy to grab a 240GE, unlock it, boost its GPU with 100mhz and rebrand it Athlon 3000G Come on AMD, is this all you can do for the 35w segment?

I know of the ryzen 3 2200ge but they've made it stupendously difficult for consumers to obtain them so thats not really an option (but would've been perfect). What do you guys think? I'm not into overclocking and any build for my new fileserver will feature a fan-less CPU cooler. GPU speed is not relevant for my replacement build either, since the machine will run without a window manager etc.

What do you guys think: should I go for the Athlon 240GE of for the Athlon 3000G ?

Comment

Originally posted by fuxjezz View Post
                    I've been contemplating buying an Athlon 240GE for quite some time now (I like the 35w TDP although it is still way higher than my current A4-5000 based fileserver): It would have been really nice to have had the 240GE included in this benchmark.
                    I don't have a 240GE hence why it wasn't tested.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X