No announcement yet.

AMD Athlon 3000G Linux Performance Benchmarks - The New $50 Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also in the market for low power CPU for home NAS and webserver/Nextcloud. Very nice to see this review. In the future I think it would be nice to have more specific tests for this segment.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
      I'm also in the market for low power CPU for home NAS and webserver/Nextcloud. Very nice to see this review. In the future I think it would be nice to have more specific tests for this segment.
      New tests always welcome: https://github.com/phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fuxjezz View Post
        I know of the ryzen 3 2200ge but they've made it stupendously difficult for consumers to obtain them so thats not really an option (but would've been perfect). What do you guys think?
        I think 2200GE is not going to be much different from 2200G that has cTDP tuned down to 45W (or 35W if motherboard allows). I guess if you don't use GPU then that leaves more room for CPU turbo. Also note that you can't have ECC with APUs (at least non-Pro) but maybe you don't need it in your fileserver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

I think 2200GE is not going to be much different from 2200G that has cTDP tuned down to 45W (or 35W if motherboard allows). I guess if you don't use GPU then that leaves more room for CPU turbo. Also note that you can't have ECC with APUs (at least non-Pro) but maybe you don't need it in your fileserver.
          I didn't know that, tnx for the tip. While I value ECC, to me it isn't worth the additional cost (financially).

I've been running a fileserver at home for over 7 years now and haven't come accross any corruption or anything (that I am aware of). The theoretical "one in a million"-file that will get corrupted because ECC is lacking is fine for my purposes (it is a home server).

If it would've been your pick Tomin, would you go for a 3000G or a 240GE (both are APU's, right?) ?

Comment

rant
            I feel your pain.

Yeah, that's why I'm so frustrated with AMD. They won't make low end CPU's or GPU's with the latest fab technology, even though that's where it could really shine. There's no modern day equivalent to my old Athlon X2 5050E (which was one heck of an undervolter) or my passively-cooled RadeonHD 4550.
            The Ryzen 3400G is built on Zen+ instead of Zen2. Why? The 'E' CPU's are ridiculously hard to find and price gouged. I don't think I'll be replacing my GTX950 anytime soon, unless AMD offers something compelling in the Navi series. I'd like to upgrade my 2400G, but I'm having a hard time justifying it.

Comment

I imagine there are a few reasons. They may need to buy a certain number of 12nm wafers, and then the question becomes what you put on then - probably, your cheapest product, because it doesn't matter so much if performance is compromised.

Even if they did not have to, is it worth getting the new process? Will it make a sale where there was not one before? Or will it be more likely to cannibalize sales of more profitable models? Of course, we all want the world for a song, but you can't live on lyrics.

They may even have some kind of rule that no APU can come out before some of their semi-custom chips with equivalent hardware.

And of course, this is an integrated solution, so it takes more time to produce, especially if you are not just shrinking what came before.

The 2400G is a fine CPU and waiting at least one more cycle is a great idea. If you are getting itchy about upgrades, maybe look to a new monitor or drive or the like.

Comment

Chip is meant for POS and similar applications, not for mere mortals.

Once you have to pay for motherboard and ram, skipping a $50 and getting half the result one could get with 3200G or 3400G seems stupid.

That being said, dual-core version could make sense at lower price-point as a chip, soldered on basic board.
                This could be a replacement for famous Kabinis....

Last edited by Brane215; 25 December 2019, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  speaking of which, at a little over $50 the 3950X is pretty amazing ;-) https://youtube.com/watch?v=tFNKXSZGyEo…
                  Hallo Rene,

ich will auch einen...
                  ...wieviel mußtest Du löhnen?

Frohe Weihnachten!
                  (Mach mal Pause.)

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

Hallo Rene,

ich will auch einen...
                    ...wieviel mußtest Du löhnen?

Frohe Weihnachten!
                    (Mach mal Pause.)
                    fast ein bisschen zu viel, 949€ @Alternate. Was tut man nicht alles für seinen YT Channel ;-) Frohe Weihnachten!

Comment

What do you guys think: should I go for the Athlon 240GE of for the Athlon 3000G ?
                      Property 240GE 3000G
                      TDP 35 W 35 W
                      Cores 2 2
                      Threads 4 4
                      CPU clock 3.5 GHz 3.5 GHz
                      locked yes (in practice: unlocked) officially unlocked
                      Graphics Vega, 3 CUs Vega, 3 CUs
                      GPU clock 1.0 GHz 1.1 GHz
                      Die Raven Ridge (14 nm),
                      4 CPU cores (2 deactivated)
                      11 CUs (8 deactivated)
                      Banded Kestrel or Raven2* (14 nm)
                      2 CPU cores (all active)
                      3 CUs (all active)

* (conjecture after delidding)
                      Price ~65 EUR ~ 50 EUR
                      The 3000G makes the 240GE obsolete.
                      Last edited by SavageX; 25 December 2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X