Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Updated Zen CPU Microcode To Linux-Firmware Tree

Phoronix: AMD Sends Updated Zen CPU Microcode To Linux-Firmware Tree

New AMD Family 17h (Zen) CPU family microcode was merged today into linux-firmware.git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The previous update was broken on some systems:

Comment

Hopefully this fixes raven ridge support, I've tried everything but still getting hang-ups on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
        Hopefully this fixes raven ridge support, I've tried everything but still getting hang-ups on my laptop.
        You still have problem with hang-ups on ryzen laptop?
        I thought all problems was resolved in bios updates and kernels 4.19+.
        What laptop is that?
        I had some lock-ups with early bios that my laptop shipped with but with latest bios i don't need any overrides and i never had it hang.
        Last edited by Nille_kungen; 18 December 2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          You still have problem with hang-ups on ryzen laptop?
          I thought all problems was resolved in bios updates and kernels 4.19+.
          What laptop is that?
          I had some lock-ups with early bios that my laptop shipped with but with latest bios i don't need any overrides and i never had it hang.
          I'm a huge AMD fanboi and needing a new laptop I got the very first generation envy x360 with a 2500u. I don't run windows so updating the BIOS is not that easy but I installed windows and updated the BIOS about six months ago, so it's a fairly up to date BIOS. Even with linux 5.5 and mesa 19.3 I'm getting both CPU lockups and gfx lockups. I've run the built-in hardware checkups and it says everything is fine. I'm about to just reinstall windows. While the performance in windows isn't as great it beats random freezes.

Comment

I'm a huge AMD fanboi and needing a new laptop I got the very first generation envy x360 with a 2500u. I don't run windows so updating the BIOS is not that easy but I installed windows and updated the BIOS about six months ago, so it's a fairly up to date BIOS. Even with linux 5.5 and mesa 19.3 I'm getting both CPU lockups and gfx lockups. I've run the built-in hardware checkups and it says everything is fine. I'm about to just reinstall windows. While the performance in windows isn't as great it beats random freezes.
            Search MediCat USB and WoeUSB....you might just find an easier way to update the BIOS on those pesky systems.

Comment

I have a X3700X on my desktop and had very similar problems you are facing. Please check for the newest BIOS update with your laptop/mobo manufacturer. They are releasing newer versions very often, as AMD rolled out their new CPUs without optimal BIOS support -- heck, you are only one of many people facing such problems and Destiny 2 wasn't even able to run when those CPUs were released.

If all else fails, go to the BIOS/UEFI settings and disable dynamic boost or just reduce the CPU voltage. The default settings on many mobos are said to be very high and not consistent with the CPU configurations, at least on older BIOSes. Disabling dynamic boost will also make your laptop very silent and probably boost battery life as well.

Comment

I have the same laptop... Linux 5.3 worked almost fine, but since 5.4 it is unusable. Very simple OpenGL applications like system settings in KDE or Firefox with Webrender will crash the GPU and it tries to reset. It's quite sad how broken it is now!

Comment

If you still have problems then always update to the latest bios and if it's not fixed then update when a new update is released.
                  I don't have the same laptop as you but i read that others had there envy X360 working good with linux.
                  There has been a lot of problems related to bios and linux on ryzen laptops, for my laptop the working bios was released late August or September this year.
                  Originally posted by King Mucus View Post
                  If all else fails, go to the BIOS/UEFI settings and disable dynamic boost or just reduce the CPU voltage. The default settings on many mobos are said to be very high and not consistent with the CPU configurations, at least on older BIOSes. Disabling dynamic boost will also make your laptop very silent and probably boost battery life as well.
                  I don't have that laptop but laptops usually don't have that kind of settings available in bios.
                  Do the Envy X360 really have those settings in bios?
                  Last edited by Nille_kungen; 18 December 2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Why not just call tech support and open a ticket, let them troubleshoot the problem for you? If the vendor does not support Linux on this device, sounds like you bought the wrong device. Not trying to be harsh, just being real here. There are plenty of vendors and plenty of laptop models out there that have official vendor support for Linux. I recommend choosing one of those next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X