AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X / 3960X Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Ok, so, do the 4 sticks run at their advertised speeds? the 2700x I have can only run 4x16 at 2666...
    Yes they ran fine at 3600.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'd like to be surprised, but after the way the first and second gen Threadripper parts basically mopped the floor with their Intel equivalents in terms of price/performance I kind of expected this result. Seems like AMD has further vindicated their development on the common die design built around common "chiplets" with different IO dies depending on the number of "chiplets" on the package.

Will definitely be interesting to see how much faster our software is on the newer Threadripper parts the next time we need to get a new top-end machine.

Comment

numactl --hardware ? One node?
        Last edited by commiethebeastie; 25 November 2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks Michael for these benchmarks. Those compile times are blood awesome Though you'd need some serious cooling for these Threadrippers

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
            Wow, those kernel compile times.. you could schedule a kernel compile at each boot-up, to always have the latest git code )
            I know the shit got real when that CPU can compile the Linux kernel faster than my PC can boot...

Comment

Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post
              numactl --hardware ? One node?
              Should be, it's one node under Windows.

Comment

Typo:
                With NASA's NPB embarrassingly parallel problem, the Core i9 10980XE with its 16 cores / 32 threads actually comes out ahead of the Threadripper 3960X's 24 cores / 48 threads, but the Threadripper 3970X is an easy 20% faster.

Isn't it 18 cores / 36 threads?

Comment

After the embargo on the Intel Core i9 10980XE expired a few hours ago, now we are allowed to share the performance numbers on the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X and 3970X processors.
                  The Intel reporting embargo precludes Phoronix from reporting comparatives to competing products in general, or just these specific TR's?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                    Wow, those kernel compile times.. you could schedule a kernel compile at each boot-up, to always have the latest git code )
                    OK. Just did a compile of 5.4.0 on my system:

Code:
                    #make -j4
                    real 115m38.125s
                    user 187m24.475s
                    sys 23m40.842s
                    This is with "-march=native -o3" so not a direct comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast
                      Take that Intel with your crappy Core i9 10980XE
                      <image>
                      Careful with that image, you might just get it censored by tildearrow...

Comment

Working...
                      X