Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Athlon 3000G Processor Begins Shipping At $49 USD

Phoronix: AMD's Athlon 3000G Processor Begins Shipping At $49 USD

Announced earlier this month, the Athlon 3000G is shipping today a week ahead of the Ryzen Threadripper 3000 series. The Athlon 3000G is AMD's new sub-$50 processor for lightweight desktop purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll be working on getting my hands on an AMD Athlon 3000G in the days ahead for some Linux benchmarking.
    If you do that, please test it on a cheap and low end motherboard. These day I say a YT channel testing those cheap AMD APUs on some expensive, full ATX mobo (because it was what they had on hand), which is ridiculous. Not only is not something most people will do, but will also give power consumption above of what you expect from it.

Comment

Oh boy, gimme a MiniITX board with 4-6 Sata ports and we're sold!

Comment

We just need more products like the ASRock DeskMini A300.

Comment

How does 2 core 4 threads compare to 4 cores 4 threads? I have a Skylake i5-6500 which is 4/4 cores/threads at 3.2GHz turbo to 3.6GHz, probably paid ~4x the price for it back in 2016 than this $49 AMD part. I assume the additional cores make a difference? Or is the architecture/age difference between the two going to narrow that a fair bit?

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            We just need more products like the ASRock DeskMini A300.
            I was thinking the exact same thing.

Comment

Still too power hungry compared to a snapdragon 855, I need the power efficiency of arm, but instead of a cellphone shell and OS, the option to install a desktop OS and be able to use mouse/keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Still too power hungry compared to a snapdragon 855, I need the power efficiency of arm, but instead of a cellphone shell and OS, the option to install a desktop OS and be able to use mouse/keyboard.
                There's plenty of SBC's that fulfill those requirements. Why not an RPi4 or something even more powerful?

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  Oh boy, gimme a MiniITX board with 4-6 Sata ports and we're sold!
                  Yes, that would be a fine NAS system. Michael could you please test stuff like:
                  - Idle power consumption
                  - Load power consumption
                  - Encryption performance (file system encryption)
                  - Compression performance (file system compression)
                  - Comparison with e.g. Pentium G4400 (My current NAS CPU ) or similar low end Intel CPUs.
                  Last edited by Veto; 19 November 2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

CMOS
                    14nm

What the ...? Aren't 3000 series APU based on Zen+ 12nm?

Comment

Working...
                    X