Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Firefox + Chrome Web Browser Performance Impact From Intel's JCC Erratum Microcode Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Firefox + Chrome Web Browser Performance Impact From Intel's JCC Erratum Microcode Update

Phoronix: The Firefox + Chrome Web Browser Performance Impact From Intel's JCC Erratum Microcode Update

With yesterday's overview and benchmarks of Intel's Jump Conditional Code Erratum one of the areas where the performance impact of the updated CPU microcode exceeding Intel's 0~4% guidance was on the web browser performance. Now with more time having passed, here are more web browser benchmarks on both Chrome and Firefox while comparing the new CPU microcode release for the JCC Erratum compared to the previous release. Simply moving to this new CPU microcode does represent a significant hit to the web browser performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, everyday another Intel mitigation reducing performance....

My next CPU is most certainly going to be AMD.

Comment

I guess this just shows how full of it Intel is when it comes to their performance hit estimates. This is way higher than their 4% upper bound they suggested.

Comment

At this rate, they are going to have to go to 5-7nm just to maintain their speeds from 2 years ago. But God bless their ridiculous core clocks. The K series is their one saving grace.

Comment

I guess the JIT compilers will need to have the optimization Intel put in the toolchain assemblers, so jumps are not placed badly

Either that or just accept that Intel sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
            Wow, everyday another Intel mitigation reducing performance....

My next CPU is most certainly going to be AMD.
            Why would you want Another Meltdown Device?

I'm just glad my Intel CPUs are so old that they don't have the crap they're exploiting to be mitigated to slow them down even more.

I wonder how competitive my old ass Westmeres are now.

Comment

Other than Selenium on Chrome(ium), those so-called "performance hits" are low enough to be written off as rounding errors.

Not going to give an iota's worth of @S$ to bother about them.

Coming from a Threadripper 2990WX and dual Xeon E5-2697v2 user.
              Last edited by Sonadow; 13 November 2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

They are still coming https://mdsattacks.com/#ridl-ng
                On Nov 12, 2019, we (VUSec) disclose TSX Asynchronous Abort (TAA), a new speculation-based vulnerability in Intel CPUs as well as other MDS-related issues, as described in our new RIDL addendum. In reality, this is no new vulnerability. We disclosed TAA (and other issues) as part of our original RIDL submission to Intel in Sep 2018. Unfortunately, the Intel PSIRT team missed our submitted proof-of-concept exploits (PoCs), and as a result, the original MDS mitigations released in May 2019 only partially addressed RIDL.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  I guess this just shows how full of it Intel is when it comes to their performance hit estimates. This is way higher than their 4% upper bound they suggested.
                  There was a
                  *Some specific workloads are higher than 4%

in the article

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I wonder how competitive my old ass Westmeres are now.
                    this is the site I mostly use to eyeball CPU performance https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

What are the CPUs in your system?

Comment

Working...
                    X