AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael
    Paternity leave? What did I miss? I mean... congratulations?!
    Man, if you just got a father then take your time!

Looking forward to benchmarks of these new CPU/APUs.
    But I am also still looking to see some Kabini-ish thing. (Something 4C/4T, some ASICs for media acceleration and 25 W TDP or below.) Those Athlons (2xx GE, 3000) are close and the price is fine, even some low end Ryzen 3 APU might fit, but still... But I guess they're focusing on serving the big things and mediums first, then maybe broadening the palette also towards smaller / embedded-capable CPU/APUs.

plate = Obazda = tasty stuff, German-Bavarian / Czech specialty. A mixture mostly of cheese(s) and some spices.
    I also like it.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

In which way is a single, old application being buggy relevant to all the readers of this article?
      Considering that this is a pretty popular game that has this error pop up only on Zen2 chips, it's worth mentioning, as I think these problems might make someone think twice before buying an offending chip. I mean, this is still way better than Intel, but if it was not resolved, it would be a huge downside for me to pick up a Zen2 processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Michael
        Paternity leave? What did I miss? I mean... congratulations?!
        Man, if you just got a father then take your time!

Looking forward to benchmarks of these new CPU/APUs.
        But I am also still looking to see some Kabini-ish thing. (Something 4C/4T, some ASICs for media acceleration and 25 W TDP or below.) Those Athlons (2xx GE, 3000) are close and the price is fine, even some low end Ryzen 3 APU might fit, but still... But I guess they're focusing on serving the big things and mediums first, then maybe broadening the palette also towards smaller / embedded-capable CPU/APUs.

plate = Obazda = tasty stuff, German-Bavarian / Czech specialty. A mixture mostly of cheese(s) and some spices.
        I also like it.
        I assume it might be possible to get down to 25W with undervolting and underclocking the chip. Considering that it's unlocked, it might be a matter of just tweaking it a little bit.

Comment

better to buy the 3900x cpu, too expensive this one, onlyfor people who need specific workstations

Comment

Congratulations on the new addition to the family Michael! We love the work you do for this site, I check it every day, but it is perfectly understandable if you need to spend time with family during this transition. We will still all be here when you return!

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Considering that this is a pretty popular game that has this error pop up only on Zen2 chips, it's worth mentioning, as I think these problems might make someone think twice before buying an offending chip. I mean, this is still way better than Intel, but if it was not resolved, it would be a huge downside for me to pick up a Zen2 processor.
              Give it a rest. I really doubt that the majority of readers of Phoronix care about bugs in an old game, even though some may be gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by SofS View Post
                24 cores with 140MB cache and slightly higher frequencies versus 32 cores and 144MB cache, just 4MB more. It will be interesting to see the trade-offs. By the way, how does the network interlinking the cores change from one version to another?
                Both have 128MB of L3 cache, so the difference is 24 cores * 512KB L2 cache vs 32 cores * 512KB L2 cache.

Presumably the 100Mhz lower base clocks are due to needing to stay within TDP/power requirements with the extra 8 cores, so that's only likely to apply when all 32 cores are being stressed and you're getting the benefit of the extra cores anyway.

And the infinity fabric doesn't change. They both have 4 CCD's, it's a 6x6x6x6 and a 8x8x8x8 setup.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 07 November 2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Given that the L3 cache is victim cache, I don't think it will be that useful.
                  It's useful on bandwidth-constrained situations, e.g., a truckload of cores being fed by dual-channel DDR4 SDRAM. They've taken other measures as well, like reducing bottlenecks in the fabric, but the cache isn't wasted silicon. The CPUs would surely perform worse if it was reduced or removed.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
                    As a laptop user for a while now, what are you people doing with all those PCI-E lanes?
                    You can put in a couple of x16 GPUs, a couple of these Micron X100s, and 4x 100 Gbps Ethernet.

Comment

Threadripper 3 + T-rex 40 motherboard. Violence in naming = violence in computing? Is that the marketing idea? (And will we see dinosaurs on the boxes too?)

Comment

Working...
                      X