AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SofS View Post
    24 cores with 140MB cache and slightly higher frequencies versus 32 cores and 144MB cache, just 4MB more. It will be interesting to see the trade-offs. By the way, how does the network interlinking the cores change from one version to another?
    Given that the L3 cache is victim cache, I don't think it will be that useful.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      ... 3000G, which is very cheap for what it is. The G5600T is probably the closest Intel model to compare it to...
      I'd be more interested in a J4105 competitor though (10 W TDP, 4 cores).
      or something like the Apple A13 Bionic 6 core 5W TDP?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
        Also, does anyone know what's in the plate in his Twitter header photo?
        That's probably 'Obazda', some Bavarian cheese mixture (camembert with spices) often served in the Biergarten.
        Last edited by thxcv; 07 November 2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          I'd be more interested in a J4105 competitor though (10 W TDP, 4 cores).
          or something like the Apple A13 Bionic 6 core 5W TDP?
          Out of curiosity, why? There's plenty of products that compete with those, depending on what it is you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Out of curiosity, why? There's plenty of products that compete with those, depending on what it is you want to do.
            Right now Intel has practically all the laptop market (AMD has maybe 2 modern-ish options, ARM has 1 option limited to 8GB RAM)

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
              Right now Intel has practically all the laptop market (AMD has maybe 2 modern-ish options, ARM has 1 option limited to 8GB RAM)
              There are several Zen+ laptops available now that are better than the J4105. Getting Zen2 models would be nice, but we're probably not going to see those until next year.
              But yeah, I personally am waiting for System76 to release their ARM laptop.

Comment

Congratulations Michael !

I am vaguely worried when i read you talking about a short leave. Spend time with your loved ones ! Phoronix is less important !

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post

That's probably 'Obazda', some Bavarian cheese mixture (camembert with spices) often served in the Biergarten.
                  Ich liebe das Zeug

Comment

Zen 2 Threadripper has a rather high price of entry. It's too bad that this time, there is no cheaper SKU, which gives fewer cores but still has the larger number of memory controllers and PCIE lanes. For that use case, perhaps Cascade Lake-X is the better buy.

For the 3950X, the number of cores on AM4 is looking absurd. Is there enough memory and I/O throughput to serve 16 cores? I guess it depends on the use case. Benchmarks will tell.

Comment

As a laptop user for a while now, what are you people doing with all those PCI-E lanes?

Comment

Working...
                      X