AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU

Phoronix: AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU

While the processors are not shipping until later this month, AMD is today making known their next batch of CPUs being released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU
    I'll buy it! It only costs $49 after all 😛

Comment

Pretty interesting - AMD is releasing some pretty expensive non-server hardware here, which would lead you to think "I thought competition was supposed to be lowering prices", but... then they release the 3000G, which is very cheap for what it is. The G5600T is probably the closest Intel model to compare it to, which is $25 more expensive (or a 50% price increase) and has overall worse specs.

Comment

Well 49$ is nice. I have the 200GE ...what im really missing is not an official unlocked multi....i would rather have ecc support for my nas...it is not possible to buy the pro version as consumer so...i have to buy some recycled pro from chinese sources. IMO failed marketing. that 50 buck cpus are great for nas or small settop tv boxes...or as in my case both in one....

Comment

Congratulations Michael on the new family member and for been a new Dad. Not an easy task but full of many joys that make you grow as a person. Make sure to spend some time with wife and give her the support she deserves, first month is the hardest for her body.

Comment

I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.

Comment

Definitely not a desktop CPU (you don't really need all those cores, unless on a workstation), but damn, so many cores within 105W...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Definitely not a desktop CPU (you don't really need all those cores, unless on a workstation), but damn, so many cores within 105W...
                To be fair... people that actually buy desktops instead of laptops, often do have a use case for all those cores. Be it content creation, home engineering workstation, programming etc... sure they'lll sit idle most of the time, but when needed they'll get you through a heavy task that much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.
                  People already figured out..

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    AMD is releasing some pretty expensive
                    Not that expensive relative to previous gen 32 core TR, 10% more expensive vs more than 30% better performance, plus ECC support, plus double the IO from going PCIE4.

I reckon margins will be lower too, 4x 7nm dies plus the IO die cost significantly more than the 4x 12nm dies used in the previous model.

Even with Intel cutting its HEDT prices by half, choosing AMD is still a no-brainer, superior performance, superior features and tremendously better power efficiency. That is if one really needs a 2000$ CPU for a workstation. Server CPUs are optimized for efficiency, and in most workstation use cases, their only advantage of support excessive amounts of RAM isn't worth the design drawbacks.

Last edited by ddriver; 07 November 2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X