Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    so many cores within 105W...
    I don't think those numbers are accurate. They say it's only 105W, BUT they recommend water cooling. Something's not right here. Older 125W CPUs from AMD worked just fine with air cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
      I don't think those numbers are accurate. They say it's only 105W, BUT they recommend water cooling. Something's not right here. Older 125W CPUs from AMD worked just fine with air cooling.
      They are pretty much accurate, just take the boost range into account. It won't sustain boost for long / for many cores until it's cooled properly, although I can bet it will pretty much function under 105W cooling system with only a short boost intervals. They even hinted about a 65W toggle possibility for smaller systems, but this will of course drop the performance a good bit.
      Last edited by Alex/AT; 08 November 2019, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritofreason View Post
        For the 3950X, the number of cores on AM4 is looking absurd. Is there enough memory and I/O throughput to serve 16 cores? I guess it depends on the use case. Benchmarks will tell.
        There's a whole bloody lot of L3 cache in these CPUs (3900X/3950X) which compensates for the slower memory to the point even single/dual channels become almost irrelevant in absolute majority of the tasks, there were some tests for 3900X in the net showing that.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Give it a rest. I really doubt that the majority of readers of Phoronix care about bugs in an old game, even though some may be gamers.
          CPU bugs and compatibility issues are pretty interesting in general, and one instance of CPUID code breaking might be a hint that something else might break as well.

Comment

Fuck the CPUs, congratulations Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.
              The wonky old code here is in Max Payne, not in the AMD chips. What's next, you'll complain that Ryzen won't boot OS/2 Warp?
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 November 2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                Fuck the CPUs, congratulations Michael!
                x2, the cpu's can wait, you have a wife and kid that need your attention now! Congrats Michael !!

Comment

Perhaps the rated TDP is only for base freq, and boosting will exceed it by some amount? I'm speculating here, however this is true for intel's new 9900KS, TDP is 127 watts, but intel only guarantees *base* frequency at that TDP. At the boosted Ghz levels, 9900KS TDP goes through the roof (180+ watts).

Comment

105W is for the 3950X. Threadrippers will draw more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      The wonky old code here is in Max Payne, not in the AMD chips. What's next, you'll complain that Ryzen won't boot OS/2 Warp?
                      The point is that similar code might fail somewhere else, so it's worth bringing up.

Comment

Working...
                      X