AMD Details 3rd Gen Threadripper, Ryzen 9 3950X + Their New $49 USD CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.
    Eighteen years later and you still haven't beat the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
      I was hoping this chip might help me get through Diablo II on nightmare and hell play levels.

Comment

24 cores with 140MB cache and slightly higher frequencies versus 32 cores and 144MB cache, just 4MB more. It will be interesting to see the trade-offs. By the way, how does the network interlinking the cores change from one version to another?

Comment

I like the value. PCIe v4.0 alone is worth it for me.

I know a guy with a 1st gen TR and a NVidia Ti who does engineering modeling and outputs to a 3D printer and a plasma cutter. He has been waiting on the 3rd gen because of the productivity increase it brings. He has to wait for a complex render to complete before it can print. If he can cut render time by ~30%, he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            I like the value. PCIe v4.0 alone is worth it for me.

I know a guy with a 1st gen TR and a NVidia Ti who does engineering modeling and outputs to a 3D printer and a plasma cutter. He has been waiting on the 3rd gen because of the productivity increase it brings. He has to wait for a complex render to complete before it can print. If he can cut render time by ~30%, he wins.
            I wonder if a distributed render farm would be better for him. It might be faster than a single machine, and time is definitely money. I had bought a 2nd generation TR a few months ago, and I use it for content creation (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) I'd run Linux on it if I could, but Adobe.... In any case... I have other machines with larger core counts for simulation work and virtual machines.

Comment

I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.
              They are fully functional. The game has a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

They are fully functional. The game has a bug.
                Still, it's weird that Phoronix doesn't mention this incompatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                  The fact that I've already beat the game doesn't mean I won't want to do it again.

Comment

Still, it's weird that Phoronix doesn't mention this incompatibility.
                    In which way is a single, old application being buggy relevant to all the readers of this article?

Comment

Congratulations, Michael!

Guys and gals, consider chipping in with some donations for him. The electricity bill will probably seem cheap from now on. Also, does anyone know what's in the plate in his Twitter header photo?
                      Last edited by GrayShade; 07 November 2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X