Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Years Late: Linux 5.5 To Offer Mainline Support For SGI's Octane MIPS Workstations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Years Late: Linux 5.5 To Offer Mainline Support For SGI's Octane MIPS Workstations

Phoronix: Years Late: Linux 5.5 To Offer Mainline Support For SGI's Octane MIPS Workstations

The Linux 5.5 kernel due out as stable in early 2020 will finally have mainline support for the MIPS-powered SGI Octane and Octane II workstations that originally ran with SGI's IRIX operating system about two decades ago...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...IPS-SGI-Octane

In my opinion very cool.

Comment

Wow... I had an SGI O2 at home... Would have been very nice if it would run Linux. But I doubt the graphics card would have been supported.
      The opengl demos were awesome, alpha blending desktop windows on top of each other long before it was a thing.

Comment

Erwin would be pleased.

Comment

For those curious about it, here is part one of two from a RMC episode this machine. If I'm not mistaken, those were used on some pretty famous CGI on movies:

Comment

Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Wing Commander 3/4, Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64 devkits). SGI Hardware made most of our childhoods.

Comment

I wonder how long it will take before that support gets yanked out of the mainline kernel.

Comment

Cool thing - I barely remember that I have seen them as a youngster in a Mechanical Design Department.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  I wonder how long it will take before that support gets yanked out of the mainline kernel.
                  As long it's maintained, it will stay in. The age of a piece of hardware is not relevant for how long the kernel will support it. It's the fact whether there is a maintainer or not.

Comment

Are there any pragmatic reason for this? Would it help to make Linux kernel more portable or something?

Comment

Working...
                    X