Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 9900KS Linux Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 9900KS Linux Performance Benchmarks

Today the Intel Core i9 9900KS is shipping at $513 USD for this specially-binned Coffeelake CPU that is capable of achieving a 5.0GHz all-core turbo frequency. The all-core 5.0GHz turbo is great, but it remains an eight-core / sixteen-thread 14nm processor going up against AMD's similarly priced Ryzen 9 3900X. Here are our initial benchmarks of the Core i9 9900KS compared to the Core i9 9900K and Ryzen 9 3900X.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Idle power on the Ryzen board is so much higher than on Windows. I wonder if power management for the MB components is even enabled at all? Or is Zen2 power management just broken on Linux?

Also, hope your wife isn't too sick Michael.

Comment

Well, that is what i call the perfect MEH!!! cpu launch and at that price is a really tough sell unless you are rich and don't care on wasting money

Comment

Wishing a complete and rapid recovery for the spousal unit.

Comment

Hope Mrs Larabel feels better soon. Hey Michael, I don't suppose you could set both the 9900K and KS to a fixed clock speed, and run some tests, to compare the speed difference between unmitigated, software mitigation, and silicon mitigation? I imagine there's still some hit vs unmitigated.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Rise of the Tomb Raider less sensitive to CPU performance. A better choice would have been Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor which scales with CPU performance (at least with AMD GPUs and Mesa).
            Unfortunately Shadow of Mordor doesn't have CLI benchmarking support hence why it's not used.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael - I hope your wife is OK.

Comment

An interesting test. I fully expected the 9900KS to be competitive performance wise but I am surprised the 9900KS system drew so much less power than the 3900X.

I know there are other components contributing to that (PCIe 4.0 chipset for one?) but it's still a bit of a surprise.

Along with the vulnerability mitigations, I would consider this a pretty good showing overall for Intel.

I think I'd still get the Ryzen myself but, as always, competition is good....

Comment

Take care of the wife, we will understand!

as for the tests - most interesting results.

Comment

What's the likelihood of being able to compare the R0 stepping 9900k's context switching (I assume you mean P0 stepping is what your current 9900k is)

Comment

Working...
                    X