Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPYC 7642/7742 vs. Xeon Platinum 8280 Performance With Intel-Recommended Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael "Platinun" in title.

Comment

Big oof
      I'd hate to see the forums infected with carelessness!

Comment

Well, with Zen 2 there is currently no point in buying Intel CPUs from an economic as well as performance standpoint!

We bought two micro PCs with Zen 2 CPUs, they like never run any fan with office tasks as the Zen 2 is so power efficient that the heat can dissipate passively, even in this very small case without a big heat exchanger or something like that.

My next notebook will be based on Zen 2 as well.

AVX 512 is nice for simulation stuff, i use AVX256 at my workplace to speed up HPC tasks. AVX512 won´t deliver double the performance in Intel CPUs than AVX256, as you still have other operation running like advancing pointers and so on, furthermore you are limited by memory bandwidth pretty quickly if you do AVX512 on a big dataset on many cores.
        For the same money, you can get two times the core count in AMD and 4x the memory bandwidth, so why choose AVX512 if you can do more work for the same price with AVX256 optimized algorithms..

Comment

Wintel is still going strong:

Originally posted by Intel
          Myth: PCMark uses real applications . Although LibreOffice* is a real application, it is pre-installed only on Linux* distributions. LibreOffice is open source, and is compiled and built by UL/Futuremark using proprietary parameters – it is not commercial shrink-wrapped software available to everyone.
          Originally posted by Intel
          There is not one line of OpenCL code in Microsoft Office, so why focus on OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

There is no Microsoft office on my computers either

Comment

There seems to be a lot of faint praise here - like amd got handed their ascendancy via intels bad luck.
              BS.

Intel simply cannot compete selling monolith against modular - even w/ a better 14nm node during Zen1 times.

Nor do they have to "catch up" in mainstream mobile. The APU is a far better balance than the IGP intel offerings... They just havnt slaughtered them yet, as required by consumers & OEMs it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                Well, with Zen 2 there is currently no point in buying Intel CPUs from an economic as well as performance standpoint!
                AVX 512 is nice for simulation stuff, i use AVX256 at my workplace to speed up HPC tasks. AVX512 won´t deliver double the performance in Intel CPUs than AVX256, as you still have other operation running like advancing pointers and so on, furthermore you are limited by memory bandwidth pretty quickly if you do AVX512 on a big dataset on many cores.
                For the same money, you can get two times the core count in AMD and 4x the memory bandwidth, so why choose AVX512 if you can do more work for the same price with AVX256 optimized algorithms..
                Thats a sad pattern for intel. They come puffing up to the starting gates at the last moment with their lates gee whizz tack on, and at times run a god race, but ahem - look at the price.

But gee mister, for that money you can have the next tier up from AMD - 16C AM4/TR/Epyc etc, and it becomes no contest again.

Comment

Originally posted by c2h5oh View Post
                  Better, but likely not better enough - let me explain:

Very interesting read! Thank you! It opened my eyes to a new perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
                    PCMark 10 is terribly outdated because it still uses old version of each applications: LibreOffice,Firefox, Gimp, LuxRender now LuxCore Render.

Comment

I'm going to write an AVX-512 optimized CPU Manufacturer Simulator

Comment

Working...
                      X