X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Both area efficiency and performance/watt are ambiguous metrics -- we don't know how much they benefit from the 7nm manufacturing process.
    Either
    a) you didn't read the SiFive's announcement,
    b) you read it carelessly, or
    c) you didn't understand it.

Leave a comment:

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    But the thing here is...they are operating at 2.6Ghz, and expecting performance competitive with Socs that work at 1.8-2Ghz??
    All that matters in the end is number of transistors, total performance and performance per watt.
    Whether it is implemented with long and thin or short and fat pipeline is an implementation detail.

[Edit] ... or low IPC with high frequency.
    Last edited by pkese; 25 October 2019, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zxy_thf
    replied
    Originally posted by pkese View Post
    According to their own announcement:

The SiFive U84 standard core offers an incredible increase of 2X better area efficiency and 1.5X better performance/watt, with very competitive performance when compared to an Arm® Cortex®-A72 processor.
    Both area efficiency and performance/watt are ambiguous metrics -- we don't know how much they benefit from the 7nm manufacturing process.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    If they claim its competitive with the ARM A72, in SpecInt2006, it is a good comparison..
    Because A72 has a strong Integer performance..
    But the thing here is...they are operating at 2.6Ghz, and expecting performance competitive with Socs that work at 1.8-2Ghz??

Also it was the idea I got.. their validation was guess estimated.. not a real implementation..

Leave a comment:

• pkese
    replied
    According to their own announcement:

The SiFive U84 standard core offers an incredible increase of 2X better area efficiency and 1.5X better performance/watt, with very competitive performance when compared to an Arm® Cortex®-A72 processor.
    Last edited by pkese; 25 October 2019, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't know how successful SiFive is at selling their implementations.
    I think SiFive would make a better mark on the industry and the world if they continued development,
    freed up their implementations, but found funding otherwise.
    Right now, there are better cores with more features, better ecosystems and probably for less money.
    Competing with ARM and other established vendors with a IP-vendor 101 business model feels like they are barking up the wrong tree.
    They still may end up doing so. I think they have something really valuable in their tools for building SoCs.

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Disclaimer: I don't know how successful SiFive is at selling their implementations.
    I think SiFive would make a better mark on the industry and the world if they continued development,
    freed up their implementations, but found funding otherwise.
    Right now, there are better cores with more features, better ecosystems and probably for less money.
    Competing with ARM and other established vendors with a IP-vendor 101 business model feels like they are barking up the wrong tree.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic SiFive U8-Series To Offer Much Greater RISC-V Performance

SiFive U8-Series To Offer Much Greater RISC-V Performance

Phoronix: SiFive U8-Series To Offer Much Greater RISC-V Performance

There is much greater performance potential out of RISC-V now with SiFive having announced the U8-Series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X