Updated AMD Zen CPU Microcode Lands In Linux-Firmware Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
    **** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
    they fixed an exploit in the bios and do not allow you to downgrade to a vulnerable one again.

Comment

Originally posted by metallurge View Post

Yeah, I feel your pain. Been down this road myself yesterday. What worked for me is copying the new firmware (microcode_amd_fam17h.bin) into the relevant directory (/lib/firmware/amd-ucode/) (make sure the permissions are correct and you backup the old file you are replacing!), followed by a version of the instructions here worked for me with my Ryzen 2600 on Lubuntu 18.04.3 with kernel 5.3.x. The key bits for me were:

Code:
      echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload
      followed by (as root)

Code:
      update-initramfs -u
      and rebooting to test.
      I built the firmware into my kernel image and my /lib/firmware folder is the linux-firmware git repo, I'm definitely loading it, I'm assuming the bios is recent enough to have it included (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...HelpDesk_BIOS/ 2801 from last month)

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I built the firmware into my kernel image and my /lib/firmware folder is the linux-firmware git repo, I'm definitely loading it, I'm assuming the bios is recent enough to have it included (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...HelpDesk_BIOS/ 2801 from last month)
        Your CPU (2400G) has a CPUID of 0x810F10. According to MCEdb, your current firmware is 0x08101016, dated 2019-04-30. You appear to have it already.
        My CPU (2600) has a CPUID of 0x800f82. According to MCEdb, my current firmware is 0x800820d, dated 2019-04-16. I didn't have it already because I am on LTS Ubuntu and their lib-firmware lags significantly, plus I am on a pretty old BIOS on this particular x370 motherboard, so I had to install it manually to get it.

Comment

Working...
        X