Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mitigation Impact Difference On AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs. Intel Core i9 9900K Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    To be fair, the 3900X is known to have inflated prices; it should be $500. But even then, it is pretty weird seeing the i9 being the cheaper option.
    It's not "inflated" if that's what the market is bearing out. Right now the prices at Newegg has AMD's R9 considerably more expensive than the Intel i9. That suggests the enthusiast market is favoring AMD enough to concern Intel. I have no idea if that is borne out in OEM and bulk prices like Google and Amazon would pay for their infrastructure, but it's still very surprising. New Intel has historically been consistently more expensive than new AMD no matter the seller in the enthusiast market. To see this reversed is astonishing.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 09 October 2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
      You have to read the price figures like a market, that is to say, the price tag is proportional to the perceived value. People may value the R9 over the i9 for the better mitigation, for the "7nm-ness", or just for the logo. Think of Apple products which are also generally above the mean: demand makes that possible.
      Or there is just limited supply to meet the demand.

Comment

So, an 8-core Intel part is as fast as AMD's 12 core part?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          So, an 8-core Intel part is as fast as AMD's 12 core part?
          This is why Michael went through the effort of doing OpenMP tests...

Comment

Apache 2.4.41 is out. You'd expect one to oh I don't know test on something recent, say even 2.4.37--itself going on one year old.

Comment

You have to read the price figures like a market, that is to say, the price tag is proportional to the perceived value. People may value the R9 over the i9 for the better mitigation, for the "7nm-ness", or just for the logo. Think of Apple products which are also generally above the mean: demand makes that possible.
              Newegg has the 3900X for $699 because they have only 1 in stock. Yes, the price is inflated due to lack of supply.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                For a bit of context... the Intel CPU is actually cheaper than AMD's for once based on current prices on Amazon, which I can't remember happening in ages.

Intel Core I9 9900K ~ 490 USD
                AMD Ryzen 9 3900X ~ 560 USD

Obviously there's more than just the CPU in the price of a computer, but still...
                How much is Intels 12 core

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post
                  Or there is just limited supply to meet the demand.
                  Diminishing availability does not necessarily translate to a price rise _everywhere_. Your corner deli, when it is about to run out of smokes of a particular brand, is not going to raise the price of the remaining packs of said brand.

Comment

Diminishing availability does not necessarily translate to a price rise _everywhere_. Your corner deli, when it is about to run out of smokes of a particular brand, is not going to raise the price of the remaining packs of said brand.
                    If you can buy the same pack in the nearby store or even this store but this week, sure. If it happens everywhere - it would raise them. Scarcity definitely contributes to the increase in prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X